Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with Synscan EQ 5 Upgrade Kit

AstroAndy

Hello

First, apologies if i am in the wrong section, as i am new here. My problem: My Synscan Goto (Upgrade for EQ5) slews wrongly. I have read the forums on this, and pretty much tried everything (starting with Polar Alignment to using degree [as well as decimal] coordinates, paying attn. to the way they're input), including timezones. I've paid attn. to all the settings (DST, date setting US format,etc.), yet it still points wrongly, nowhere near the star)) I'm targetting in 1, 2, and 3 star alignments.. I have extensively researched this, and haven't come up w/ any answers yet. Stupid q. It couldn't be the cogs going around the wrong way I would appreciate any answers to help me with this frustrating problem.

AstroAndy

Check the cogs, i seem to recall te RA gear has two sets of cogs, lots of folk put the wrong cogs together, i think theres a small cog and a large cog. Only one of them should engage with the mount.

Deffo seen this prob before on the eq5 upgrade and its always been down to the cogs bIeng in the weong order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

c'mon Andy - nothing more embarrassing than silence! ;)

It's always cathartic to get it off your chest and may help someone else with the same issue later on - You're in good company, as most of us have missed the obvious at least a few times.

Jake

Archived