Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ideas for a homeade solar finder?

JB80

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use an EQ 3-2 for my solar imaging , the lack of "solar tracking" doesn't seem to be a real problem to be honest.

To align the mount I just did a rough drift alignment one day , first thing in the East and tweaked at lunchtime when he was roughly South , used a small sunspot instead of a star !

I get a small drift but align the camera so that the drift is L-R on frame not U-D , gives me time to shoot at least 100 frames before adjusting , but to help Uncle Reg I usually adjust as I go , every 20 or so.

For close-up with the webcam ( very rare for me ) the drift over a 2min AVI is easily traced and stacked by Reg.

Steve.

• 2 years later...

Ok. This is embaressing but hey ho

I used to use a loo roll holder, with one end covered with tape n a pin hole in it, and the other end had grease proof paper as a screen. Black dot of a ball point marked the desired point.

Tacky but it worked

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Archived