NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do I, don't I ?

Delayed getting a scope because I am concerned over the light pollution where I live. A quiet road runs parrellel to my garden but has two street lights in close proximity. One is about 20feet beyond my garden the other is level with my garden but the other side of the road.plus I have next doors security light which goes off if I so much as breathe outside! Will investing £300 on a scope be a complete waste of money. I would like to observe planets and DSOs. Any advice would be much appreciated. Just been made redundant so don't won't to waste my money!

I had the same problem had a street light right in my garden and the next doors security light but I thought about it and brought the sky max 127 great scope for planets and some deep space photography really all depends on the mount. A GOTO is good for getting around the sky but an EQ mount is required for astrophotography! I have an EQ 3 and works great. Light pollution does not really effect me you can buy filters to block some pollution. So me personally would recommend the sky-watcher skymax 127 everybody has their own view

It's difficult to judge how bad your light pollution is by your description but if its pretty bad, then DSO such as galaxies and nebulae are going to be difficult to find, although brighter stellar objects like open and globular clusters are less affected. Planets, moon and double stars being so bright will also remain unaffected by this light. Have you considered observing from a local dark site? Some local astro clubs can provide kit to borrow which might be a useful way of taking a look to measure how bad the light pollution is. There might even be somebody on here who might be able to assist you by letting you have a look through their kit at your location. I live in a light polluted city and so for me the only option is to head out into the local countryside so I appreciate your plight, although travelling and setting up away from home is everyone's cup of tea.

James

Observing planets - no problem. They are nice and bright and the light pollution won't be too much of a problem... You should probably looking at a scope with a relatively long focal length (and correspondingly a high focal ratio) so perhaps an SCT or a Mak Cass.

For observing DSOs the situation is different. The light pollution will be much more of a problem and you should be looking at something with a shorter focal length (many DSOs are pretty big...so you don't need the magnification that comes with a longer focal length) and lots of aperture to grab the photons. This is the reason that Dobs are so popular as you get the maximum light gathering power for your buck...

So different answer depending on your target!

If you are setting off their security light then make them adjust it as you should not be setting it off on your property. Someone I knew was told by the council to sort their light out for the same reason and was told if they didn't they would be prosecuted, mad but true.

I agree, the neighbour should be able to set their light so it will only turn on when a person's in their garden, not when you're in yours.

The street lights may be harder, but I've heard of people putting up lightweight screens to block the direct glare. I've also heard of people using hoods, like old-time photographers used to use, to block out the local light pollution.

http://http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html... this may be of use. I's a light pollution map of the UK. As has been said, it all depends on how bad your light pollution actually is. as far as telescopes go, I would reccomend something like the skyliner 200 8" dobsonian. anything smaller than this and DSOs will be extremely difficult from light pollutes sites (if visible at all)

Thanks everyone, mind made up, will go for it! Go camping often so may persuade the wife to visit rural Hereford and Wales and tke the scope for a ride!

So what did you decide on? I would be interested to know as I am in a similar position with my rubbish garden and we also camp quite regularly.

Going to get an explorer 150p. It's an awkward situation, if I buy a cheaper scope and the light doesn't affect too bad then I will be annoyed I didn't spend the extra. So Im going to jump in head first and see what happens! Also the 150 isn't too big to take camping, although we are in the process of getting a roof box for the car :-)

If you've got £300 to spend I'd consider getting a bigger Dob. The footprint isn't really that much bigger than a scope on an EQ3 and the views of DSOs will be better to be honest besides the set up time which will be much quicker.

If theres no rush - check through the forums or just wait for some more suggestions on this thread - ultimately you know your own budget but it might be worth considering

Good luck anyway

I agree on getting a bigger dob, especially for that budget, as you will get the maximum benefit from that. I started with a dob and I have similar problems with streetlights, and I was able to see quite clearly with it (and it was only a 150P, nevermind going up to 250 etc).

Chris

a 200p Dob is about £270 - you just store the tube on the base upright in a wardrobe if you have one- or in a shed lots of people do that - will give excellent views and is easy to transport and set up - you might want to do a little research first and canvass some opinion but you won't get a better scope for under £300 IMO

One in support of the Explorer 150P.

True the dob is easier to store and you could get the 200P, however with the Explorer 150P EQ3-2 the three legged tripod is more practical to steady / level on uneven ground. Having tried different sites around my area, I have found the EQ3 mount a god send and levelling is quite straight-forward with the adjustable tripod legs.

Being a rather tall chap I also find the adjustable height of the EQ3-2 mount a blessing. I can't sit down for hours on a chair it's too uncomfortable, so being able to stand upright and have the eyepiece at my eye level is perfect, this you cant do with a dob.

What I would suggest; if you can or possible, visit a astronomy shop and look at both the explorer and dob. Better still go along to your local astronomy club and hopefully they will have the scopes for you to look through.

What ever you get - enjoy.

Surrounded by street lights and LP 360 degrees - can still do a lot from home but only on the obviously bright -can see relatively few stars so use binos a lot to get a feel before using the scope - dark sites are a real treat to visit - do what you can -it is still worth it!

Go the Dob , way . You will get the best of both worlds . Great scopes .

The first thing I would do is ask your neighbours , nicely if they can adjust there sensor on their light , just explain why and invite them over for a peek at the moon one night , that will get them on side nicely ? most people have never seen the moon close up and I am sure they will help you once the realise the small problem .

On the council , go and see them and explain your plight and they may have cut off fixturs that fit over the street lights to shine the light down , not sideways ,I know some councils have these . I have seen these around Hospitals .

On both fronts explain that they will save power , the planet and most of all Money ....

I hope this helps and good luck with the new scope .

Brian.

+1 for the 8" dob. For less than £300 there simply is no better bang for buck! Regardless of the amount of light pollution the larger aperture will still outperform both a 5"Mak and the 150p.

Archived