NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lacerta Dual Speed Focuser SW200P

tich

I was looking for a dual speed focuser for my Skywatcher 200P & I came across a Lacerta Dual Speed Focuser that you fit to the original sky watcher focuser. I looked around the forums & online to find out more but didn't come up with much. So I bit the bullet I brought one & fitted it tonight.

First impressions after it was fitted, well the movement is smooth & it's an absolute doddle to fit. The ultimate test will come when I get that clear night to try it out although I can see focusing becoming much easier than before as it was more hit & miss to get it just right.

Here it is after I just fitted it.

IMAG0584.jpg?t=1334175261

IMAG0582.jpg?t=1334175305

IMAG0581.jpg?t=1334175326

IMAG0580.jpg?t=1334175343

I paid £56 for it & there's some instructions here;

Lacerta 1:10 micro transmission for Skywatcher Crayford focusers on how to fit it. Maybe if I'd shopped around a bit more I might have found one a bit cheaper but its around half the price of the skywatcher dual speed focuser. Ok so it will be no match to the top makes but if it makes focusing easier then it can't be all bad.

• 9 months later...

Hi Craig,

i bought this from 365astronomy for my 10" dob about a week ago and its great.Very simple to install and works like a champ.i would definitely recommend it as you will save money.

I also have one of those. Easy to fit & great to use.

Got mine from 365. A very worthwhile upgrade.

Thank you for answering my question. I will order one then, I don't like the focuser the way it is on my scope.

Hi Guys. I've weighing up whether to go for one of these focuser upgrades or a SW Auto - focuser unit. Was really split in deciding ! ( I already have an auto -f attached to my SCT and it works well ).

Think an order for the crayford to be made this week. Looks like a worthwhile buy for the money.

Thx John

Looking at the focuser it looks like it could be fitted the other way round, however you won't be able to lock the focuser unless you drilled an extra hole in the mounting plate for a locking screw.

If you look at the instructions here you will see what I mean.

• 1 month later...

I've just brought one of these from Modern Astronomy - Just fitting this afternoon on the off chance that the clouds will part this evening. Though first impressions are this is a very solid and nicely engineered bit of kit and the supplied fitting instructions are excellent - thanks to Bernard for printing and sending me a copy with the upgrade.

This is the one I have from modern astronomy. Very simple to fit (don't throw away the teflon pad/shim) and works brilliantly. Adds some weight, though...not as much as a complete focuser upgrade, I suspect, but it all adds up. HTH

Archived