SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm MARK III

Matt2011

I just recieved my new Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm MARK III eyepiece through the post and really pleased with it and is a little heavy than I thought but that's OK and look forward to trying this out with my Skywatcher 127 Mak and also just recieved my Celestron Sky Sync GPS for my Celestron CG-5-GT mount which will make it easier for me to get an accurate alignment and I ordered both from Harrison Telescopes on Friday and recieved them both today which is good going so now need a clear night. :icon_confused::icon_salut::rolleyes::hello2:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recieved mine from FLO yesterday but haven't managed to make any use of it apart from fitting the 2" adapter. Gonna order the camera adapter soon aswell so i can use it for imaging and wildlife photography.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I just recieved my new Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm MARK III eyepiece through the post and really pleased with it and is a little heavy than I thought but that's OK and look forward to trying this out with my Skywatcher 127 Mak and also just recieved my Celestron Sky Sync GPS for my Celestron CG-5-GT mount which will make it easier for me to get an accurate alignment and I ordered both from Harrison Telescopes on Friday and recieved them both today which is good going so now need a clear night. :icon_confused::icon_salut::rolleyes::hello2:

Congratulations Matt! Give us a first light report. I've read mixed reviews regarding this particular zoom EP. I'm interested to read more. Cheers ;)

That sounds great and I was thinking about it for a while as the Baader is a lot of money but most of the astronomers on SGL swear by them so that influenced my decision. Not sure if I will need to buy the 8mm and 24mm Hyperions now I got this Baader MARK III Zoom Clickstop but have also ordered the Baader Moon Filter also and plan on getting a good Barlow lens also.

I am mainly a moon and planet observer and also like to observe some of the brighter deep sky with my 127 Skywatcher Skymax Maksutov Scope and think it will be fine with the moon and planets but obviously not to well on deep sky but should be fine. I am glad I got the GPS SkySync as I had been having problems with the Nexstar setting it up and understanding it but will still need to do the 2 star align though but anyone recommend any particular stars to use. cheers:):icon_confused::)

I received my Baader Hyerion Zoom MK III today aswell!

What would be the benefits of fitting the 2" nose piece over the 1.25" one? Would the benefits warrant the extra cost of the associated bigger filters etc?

JM

Thanks all and glad you all got your Baader Hyperion Clickstop MARK III Zoom Eyepieces and best of luck with them and there selling like hot cakes as I know FLO has only just got a batch in at he beginning of last week and sold out Friday as they had many orders according to Martin from FLO so shows how popular they are but since I have never spent so much on an eyepiece apart from £20 each for my 2 Super Plossl 20mm and the 10mm but I was wondering how much better this Baader one would be but as soon as i use it will give my opinion on SGL and also got the Celestron GPS Sky Sync. Xmas has coming early for me I believe and spent £340 for both items as they both were £169.00 each. Next item will have to be a Baader Variable Polarising Filter and maybe a Telrad finder along with a grab and go Vixen Porta II for my Skywatcher 127 OTA Mak but I am using a Celestron CG-5 GT Mount for home use but need a grab and go mount.icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif:icon_confused::hello2::rolleyes:

How do these perform in an F5 scope and are they up to the same standard as the individual Hyperions at each focal length??..I'm considering getting one of these instead of the individual ep's, though I was considering the Celestron X-Cel LX's for higher power and Hyperion's for lower power. I'm in a real quandry now...any thoughts??

I owned the Mk II Hyperion zoom for a while - I don't know if the Mk III differs from the Mk II optically but I found the Mk II a very good zoom but not quite as nice as the fixed focal length Hyperions (I had a set of the latter on loan for review at the time). From what I've read it seems that the X-Cel LX's are a step up from the Hyperions in performance terms.

The zoom is not a bad eyepiece at all - very good in fact, but in my view, there is a very small trade off to be made between optical performance and convenience.

PS: One of the scopes I used the above eyepieces in was my 10" F/4.8 newtonian. Edge performance seemed about the same between the zoom and the fixed focal length Hyperions, that last 15% or so of the field showed some distortions in stars.

I managed to get out for a couple of hours and try out the new EP on Thursday and all I can say is WOW! Clarity is stunning with Jupiters bands showing clearly at all mag's despite high thin cloud. Only downside is when altering magnification, you have to use 2 hands otherwise the barrel unscrews, maybe some threadlock would help? Faint fuzzies were just as good at lowest mag with M81 & M82 showing clearly unlike the 28mm eyepiece that came with the 200p.

Worth every penny!

Stu

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback StuW and that sounds awesome and unfortunately its been raining and grey skies here in Devon but I am hoping over the weekend maybe I can use my new Baader Hyperion MARK III eyepiece. I also have a Deluxe Skywatcher Diagonal for my 127 Skywatcher Maksutov so that I am sure will make the images even better but was you able to make out the Great Red Spot on Jupiter and have you used your eyepiece on the moon. Glad your happy with your Baader Zoom and I like the leather pouch it comes with also. ;)

Matt I didn't use a diagonal as i was using it on a newt. I used all mags on Jupiter (needing small focus corrections for each) and all were sharp including when I tried with my 2x Astro Engineering barlow. I'm not sure if I saw the GRS or not as the seeing wasn't perfect, but I did see a "bulge"? on one of the bands.

Hoping for clear skies tonight in Torquay and look forward to seeing Jupiter myself and Mars, Gonna set up my new Celestron SkySync GPS to my CG-5 GT mount tonight if its clear also which will help in the initial set up.

I briefly had a Baader Hyperion zoom, however I found that it was very 'in focus hungry' and wouldn't come to focus in my Vixen VMC 200L so I returned it and got a couple of Tevevues instead. I also found the narrow view at longer focal lengths to be restrictive and it didn't sit right in my diagonal because of the location of the security groove. The actual quality of the view was very good though.

Hi, I bought my Celestron SkySync GPS for £169.99 at Harrison Telescopes.Co.UK and not used it yet due to bad weather and cloudy skies and ordered it last Friday and recieved it on the Tuesday so not bad doing. Ordered my Baader Hyperion MARK III 8-28MM Clickstop Zoom Eyepiece from them also which was £169.00 so waiting for an opportunity to use them. :)

Archived