Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

connecting cameras to scopes

how to folk connect DSLR's to their scopes for prime focus (or whatever you call it...)

I see we use an adapter t-ring to connect camera to the focuser via the lens thread but what about the weight of the camera hanging off the focuser... would you typically require some sort of mount to hold the camera?

I've never done so... whether using my Konus Vista (ST80), C80ED or the RC. I even used the little NexStar 60 scope a couple of times with my 450d attached to it.

I did modify the drawtubes on my refractors with teflon tape, as that removed virtually all the slop from the focuser for a very small investment.

Heavy CCD cameras can cause Newtonian tubes to distort or focusers to sag but DSLRs are very unlikely to induce these issues.

Olly

And here's me worrying that DSLR are always heavier than CCD. So there are CCD cameras heavier than a DSLR??

It's only exposed whilst connecting to either the scope or an eye piece. Once connected it's all sealed. Dslr's can be mod'ed to include various filters, or filters can be added to some scope connectors and most "photo friendly" eye pieces specifically for the purpose of long exposure imaging (e.g. Ha, Oiii, etc).

There's some examples of connectors here :

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/brantuk-albums-photography.html

And here's me worrying that DSLR are always heavier than CCD. So there are CCD cameras heavier than a DSLR??

A CCD rig can become a weighty affair once you add a filter wheel and reducer or coma corrector. Its at least twice as heavy as my 1000d.

On a newtonian, I'm afraid it is exposed while making the exposure.

Are you sure if you have a flattener or a filter on the end of it then there's a lens/glass between the sensor and the outside world.

Archived