Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

extension leads

Okay, I've stopped going on about tubes now. Now I'm on to leads. I've found out that there's a socket in my scopes new home (a greenhouse - not ideal for cooldown or security*, but it'll do for now).

This is brilliant news, because it means I can power my mount with mains rather than 4 D batteries, I can give the old hairdryer a spin, have a CD player going, AND eventually have a laptop or PC in there.

We had about 10 long extension leads kicking about, but as they do, they've all run away as soon as they found out I had plans for them, so my dad suggested I make one. It needs to be over 8m, but I don't have enough lead. Basically this means I'll need to go out and buy one. Well, that's okay, but -

this one is only 10A, and surely I'll need 13A for a hairdryer:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331806&ts=67591&id=17120#

And this one's not a cassette reel, and is more expensive than the last!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36550&doy=18m11

Any ideas for the cheapest place, and general comments/suggestions?

*Before you start gasping, I've covered the scope with a dark sheet, making it less conspicuous, and I live in a remote and very safe area. The last time we had a bike theft at least 5 years ago. Not to mention, the greenhouse is at the far end of the estate tucked in next to a wall.

Andrew

Andrew if you are planning to use the scope in the garden i would recommend you do not go neither of the two you posted.

Because the sockets will be exposed to the weather (Dew for example) i would go for a proper waterproof extention lead and make sure you use a Rcd or you will end up feeling a lot warmer all of a sudden.

These will cost you more money but i will seriously recommend that you think about it

I think the safest form of power would be one of those re-chargeable portable power packs - I used to run my Nexstar 5 and later the HEQ5 on one of those. I think they cost about £30. I agree that, where mains electricity is concerned, this is not an area to economise in.

John

Agree with jahmanson Andre. There are laws about running power outside, you must have the cable in a reinforced sleeeve and use the right connectors, the power supply is an easier and ultimately cheaper solution.

What sort of portable power pack did you use? I'd rather use one than mains and mains isn't possible if I go to a remote site.

Thanks

Mike

You can get them at various shops,i bought mine from Halfords.Its a 20 amp hour pack which gives me all i need at the moment.There has been discussions on Sgl about them,try a search.

Thanks Kai. I thought some sort of sophisticated equipment would be needed. The threads you referred to provided reassurance that the mount just draws the amount of power it needs.

I'm about to order and EQ6 which uses 12v and 2amps. Presumably that means a 20amp/hour supply would provide 10 hours constant use?

Mike

I don't really see the issue to be honest. Obviously I'm not going to be using it in wet conditions, I would keep the socket off the ground if it's wet, and plastic wrapped around all connections will protect them from a little dew. I can't believe that cables aren't waterproof. Surely you're more at risk in the kitchen with mains power and water. I just thought that since I have the option of using mains power at my main observing spot, and I'll be around for the short periods I'm using it, I should go for it.

Andrew

Andrew

I do a lot of camping,and we use electric hook up leads to enable us to use mains power in my tent.

There is no way i would put myself at risk with the electric,obviously if you want to risk it then thats your look out :shock:.

I think that for the cost of a midrange eyepiece or the focuser you just purchased its a bit of a no brainer as far as electric is concerned.

There are times that i am outside looking through the scope loosing track of time when i notice the scopes all wet with dew,thats when its dangerous !!!

I dont want to preach but just consider what is the worst that could happen,you dont get a second chance.

They do make good point Andrew. But....I use a 10Metre extension lead outside and have not electrocuted myself yet....

It does get quite damp with dew and I have now mostly swapped back to using the power pack.

If you are really intent on doing this get an RCD it should offer you a bit of protection and dont use it outside in the winter, like has already been said the dew can get quite ba dvery quick as the temp drops.

The other thing is current is equal to power divided by voltage (not strictly true in AC systems but good enough) So a hairdryer would maybe be 1000 wats which is roughly 4 amps. Your CD player and low voltage adapter for your motors would only be a couple of watts to 8amps would be more than enough.

Be very very carefull though, electricity is not someting to mess with (i can mess a bit since I did study electronic engineering, but have still had my fair share of shocks in my time).

I would strongly advise you to get a power pack. Maplin have one on special offer at the moment and it also gives you the lexability should you want to take your scope to a dark site or come along to Kielder etc.

Andrew, take on board what has already been said. Get a power pack - same cost ish as a lead. You don't have to trip over a long lead, you don't have to wind it up later, just carry it inside, you can't get killed by it and you can use it for other stuff. Most have a light attached to help you pack up, and yu can get a 12V hairdryer for about a tenner. You can also take it up the mountains and stuff when the need arises, try that with a lead.

It's not worth the risk running mains power outdoors, especially when you do observing in the dark (well Dohh!) and when dew is forming. To get safe mains power outdoors you need at least an RCD which is sensitive, and that will keep tripping due to moisture when the dew starts. (if it doesn't, chuck it away and get a proper one!).

If you buy a cheap extension lead, can I have you're focuser when you're dead? :rolleyes:

Captain Chaos

Or ...... continue using the battery pack you have now to run your drive and forget the hairdryer / cd player / laptop for the time being ... can't do yourself any harm with D cells (unless you try and swallow one :shock: ). Get a bulk pack of batteries from Argos or similar.

Keeping your scope in a greenhouse (if it's discreet and secure) is a good idea. Running a PC network / hair salon / disco in one ... possibly not :rolleyes:

John

:rolleyes: thanks a lot chaps! I'll let the extension lead idea go and stick with my D cells until I have a more pressing need for a hairdryer. Of course, when dew gets bad, I can always take off the OTA from the mount, bring it inside, blow off the dew, and bring it out again. How's that?

Hear what you're saying. It only needs one [removed word] up and I'll find myself with a few volts through me ("This parrot wouldn't VOOOM if you put 4,000 volts through it!").

Andrew

Personally, fitting a RCD in the greenhouse and encasing the socket outlet in a lined box would be fine. You should also check from where the greenhouse if fed from. Ideally it should be on it's own breaker in the fuse board.

The socket is housed in a greenhouse, not on a trailing lead, and provided the transformer lead is kept tidy, there should be no problems. This is no different to running power out to your observatories, after all.

Archived