Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranus...

Starman

Hi Captain,

Saturn, like Jupiter has zones of rotation. CM stands for central meridian and represents the longitude at which each of these zones is currently at. Basically it helps to show them so that any spots which appear on the image can be given a longitude. Here's a big hint for anyone who wants to look these things up (and loads more) - do a search on WINJupos. It's also free :rolleyes:

it's there MB at the bottom of the image. It's difficult to interpret (no offence, but how many people in Britain know what to make of "C14 @ f33, Lumenera SKYnyx 2-0M"??? All I know is that it's equipment I can't afford!

Andrew

It gets a bit tedious to write everything out in full but I would say that anyone who took images of the planets would know what the bits are. To clarify the C-14 is a Celestron C-14 Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. It has a native focal ratio of f/11 but here I've used a 3x Barlow to push this up to f/33. The Lumenera SKYnyx 2-0M is basically an industrial strength equivalent of a Toucam webcam. C-14s and C-11s are fairly commonly used for serious planetary imaging because they have good optics and long focal lengths. The C-14 has an aperture of 350mm (14") so f/33 means that it's working with an effective focal length of 11.55m.

Archived