Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fixing stuff to circular pier

Dangerous-Dave

Hi gang, I want to fasten generic stuff like my USB router and power sockets to the pier, to prevent them being a trip hazard, but working with a cylindrical pier is a problem.

My original idea was to buy a set of taps and simply drill the iron pier, but with the amount of stuff I want to hang on it, I figure this could result in a degrading of the pier's strength and also create weak points for rust to take hold.

Another option is to sandwich two boards of plywood around the pier using long bolts in the corners and stand-offs, cut to receive the shape of the pier (a bit like village stocks). I figure this could end up quite large.

There must be a simpler option.....?

Dave.

I do not see any risk from taping a hole in the pier, I don't know the diameter of it but a few holes would not weaken it.

But if you are still worried, what about a rectangle of wood with the two ends having a semi circle cut into them the size of your pier and two slots in each of the other lenghts to take the ribbon roof rack ties you can get (£1 each in a DIY store or pound shop) and you could have shelves in it for storage. You would need a way to stop it slipping down, a block glued to the pier would do it. If poorly explained think of a shin pad on your leg.

Regards

Mike MS

Hi Dave, I too was stuck with the same problem. First I made an aluminium plate that fits between the pier and the mount, this gives me a little shelf for the game pad and on the other side a 3 way 12v cigy lighter socket is fixed with velcro.

The mains socket and 12v PSU are strapped to the pier with LOOONNNGGG cable ties and hold these items in place quite firmly.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Steep, I already use a lot of velcro but the problem with the cylindrical pier is the area of contact would be quite small so heavier objects are unlikely to hold.

MikeMS, your suggestion sounds like a variation on my plywood sandwich, the difference being I would be using bolts which may give a tighter grip (or else break the plywood! :D)

*IF* you can find some of the right diameter, telescope rings form a non-destructive

(movable!) way of attaching things to pillars. :D

That was my old man's suggestion but the trouble is you are operating in the fantasy world of astronomy gear prices. Whereas a suitably sized jubilee clip or plywood and a few bolts will cost a handful of pounds.

Air-Duct "jubelee" clips are secure,very strong, and movable...

here

Thanks. How would they be utilised to hold equipment like a dew controller, USB hub or PSU? I'd have thought if you wrap them around plastic accesories the tension of the clip is like to crack the plastic. I have some plywood I can to bolt/velcro stuff to.

Dave, I built a small table with a hole in the centre that fits around the pier in my observatory so that no force, vibration or anything like that can be transferred to the mount - this gives me plenty flexibility over what gear I can attach to or place on the table.

Thanks Steve, just looked on your website and a nice table it is too. However I am not sure a table in the Pod would leave me much room to manouever. That said, when my dad starts talking about longitudinal, transverse and rotational stability, simple but effective ideas like a table do start to look good! :)

Archived