Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan Slewing Issue

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but didnt know how to word the issue to be able to search. I have an Altazimuth with Synscan AZ and having alilgned with 2 start alignment everything seems great yet when I use the manual direction keeps the scope doesnt always stop. Mainly this happens when I slew down i hear the motors kick and the scope moves the desired amount and motors switch off but the scope keeps moving down. Have i broken the mount gearing in some way?

I don't have the same mount as you, but have you tried to physically move the mount by hand? If so then there is a chance it's damaged the scope. These Alt/AZ mounts are designed to be moved purely by the hand controller and I don't think they have any clutch system like the GEM mounts

As far as I know it's perfectly alright to move the scope up and down manually (when not turned on) but you shouldn't be able to manually turn it left/right

I agree with MorningMajor (Papers arrived yet Fawlty?). Up/down - yes; left/right - no.

Ah good point, I'll get them changed rigth away. Brings up a nother point where's the best place to get a 12v power pack?

Nope i havent have 8 clear in a row but have been 'testing' during the day to get used to the controls and get the spotter scope lined up.

Yeah mine was £30 from Maplins and I noticed an instant difference. I think with AAs you don't notice it all slowing down but it does.

Just get a jump starter / compressor thing. Mine came with a lead that fit my synscan and I haven't looked back.

Plus you don't have to worry about running out of juice just as Saturn hoves into view on a rare clear one.

Thanks for the info. I hadnt realised there were quite so many jump starter/compressor things on the market. Does anyone make a rechargeable powerpack so I dont need to be plugged into mains?

Thanks for the info. I hadnt realised there were quite so many jump starter/compressor things on the market. Does anyone make a rechargeable powerpack so I dont need to be plugged into mains?

you just need one of these they only plug into the mains for recharging 3in1 Portable Jumpstarter : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

they have a 12v 17ah battery in them

I agree with all the posts above and the Maplin power pack is good. I noticed B&Q also do a range of power packs.

Actually, is the mount moving or is it the object you are viewing that is still moving.

I've noticed more than once that the mounts can occassionally take a little while to catch up with tracking. Maybe a little nudge back on the directional keypad could help.

perfect thanks HunterZ.

Spikey, its definately the scope not the object and yeah a nudge in the opposite dir is what i've been doing but figured i dont need to do it for left/right so why up/down. Batteries have been replaced and i'm looking forward to clear skies tonight.

thanks all

Justin - It does sound like a power issue. the mounts have a mind of their own when low on batteries. Looking at the price of a decent set of batteries it's not long before a little power pack pays for itself. If you go for the Maplin one just charge it up overnight first and then bung it back on charge after every time you've used it.

That's the only time it needs to be near the mains, it's basically like carrying a motorbike battery around with you.

Archived