NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 'Live view'?

nightvision

Thanks VDS, that's what I was interested in. 550D... that's a lot of pixels! Should provide large detailed images.

Lots of small pixels are not really what is wanted for astronomy because the smaller pixels are less sensitive. The race to have ever more pixels is counterproductive, I gather, in astro use.

Live view adds heat so turn it off once focused, or so I'm told. I only use CCD at night.

Olly

I use eos 40d it has live veiw, the other good thing about live view is that the mirrow is up when taking the shot stopping camera shake. With pixel count yes high megapixel cameras have tightly packed pixels, but they have much higher light capturing capabilitys, for example a 400d has an iso rating of 1600 a 5dm2 has 256000. The noise levels at high iso levels are getting better I would think that you could use a 6400iso photo without cleaning it up, also remember that the higher iso the faster you can use the shutter also reducing bluring. I would recomend the 600d light and all the fetures of cameras twice the price, high iso, as well a hd video capture.

Hi Andy, I was looking at the 550D and the 600D but can't figure what the difference is (even on DPreview), is your 600D modified? If it is do you adjust the WB or fit a clip filter for non-astro use?

With 'Live View' does it mean you can also check focus via the video out or is it limited to the camera LCD?

Tony.

Live view can output to pc when using EOS tools.

It adds considerable amp glow so turn it off once focus is locked.

Lots of small pixels are not that great for general imaging as they are less sensative and more suseptable to seeing turbulances.

I have a 1d, 5d and 450d and the 450d gets most use, it has Live view but has also had the filter removed for astro use.

I prefer to take short exposure with a Bahtinove mansk and review them... even the short live view exposure used for virtual mirror lockup cause noise problems...

Digic IV camera support proper mirror lockup over USB ...

The only time i use liveview is if i am in the field with the portable setup...

Billy...

• 6 months later...

The best bang for you buck - 1100D larger pixels (stil plenty for astro) liveview, Digic IV (full control over USB2.0), 14 bit raw small and light...

The live view image does come out on the video out... or as Stuart said over USB2.0 to the Computer...

Canon have Gapless microlensing on the newer higher MP sensors to try and compensate for the smaller pixels... 550D was the first budget body to have it...

Peter...

Hi guys, is there still a problem with Canon not supporting Windows 7 in any shape or form.

I have a Canon 300D and cant communicate with DSLR Focus or its alternatives because of no win7 driver. I dont really want to put xp on my laptop for various reasons so am looking to upgrade my camera to a newer model or going CCD

Lots of small pixels are not that great for general imaging as they are less sensative and more suseptable to seeing turbulances.
What really matter is the image scale you get per pixel when coupled to the scope, rather than their size in microns. So if you have a short focal length lots of small pixels can be what you want.

My Canon1000D gives ~0.9" pixels at 1200mm FL - this is probably too small for the typical seeing I get. At 500mm FL it is probably just right!

NigelM

haver you tried to force the XP/vista driver in windows 7? Usually all vista drivers work in W7, and many XP drivers also work fine in W7.

On the other hand, if you Are upgrading, i'm quite happy with my 550D, but if i was to buy it today, i9'd go for teh 600D anytime because of the adjustable LCD. It's a pain in the, well, can be anywhere depebnding on the position, to see the LCD on the 550D ;)

Though, connect a PC and it's no problem anyway, and money saved :D

I'm having an issue with many hot pixels on teh 550D now though. When it was new i have 1-2 on very long exposures (5-10 min), now i have around 10-15 with only 10-30 sec exposures. Can be fixed afterwards though, but could be a sign the 550D sensor isn't of too good quality after many long exposures?

And i also have problems with the shutter box locking up during teh winter when low battery or using AC power adapter for the camera.

Not sure if this had much to do with the topic, but wanted to share my experience with teh 550D for astro use anyway before you decide on a camera... :D

Archived