Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cumbria Star Party ??

delilahtwinkle

Good Evening Fellow Star Gazers,

Sorry I have not been around for a while, work commitments - Grrrr ! Anyhoo. I have returned to the old light bucket and noticed I am quite out the way of things. I am slowly getting there with the thanks of all the posts I am reading here on Stargazers.

This brought me to thinking why not have a brainstorming star party.

I live in Cumbria, I have quite dark skies (rural location), could offer camping space at a low cost (I have a couple of acres of grass) plenty of car parking space (other than the grass) and have a great warm welcoming environment and family around me. What more would I need ??? This is why I have posted this thread - to see if there would be an interest from yourselves and to find out if I am missing anything, after all I am a very amateur amateur, Haha. I am thinking, when would be best - I would love to hold one soon. Would electricity be needed? I do have a barn I could plug in a couple of kettles etc, but no electric points in the field. Would we need to supply good old bacon butties. Many many questions unanswered. Please help by giving me some feedback. Many regards, speak soon, Delilahtwinkle. I am going now to get my dark eyes on - not a cloud in the sky. Woo Hoo.

Any idea when you be looking to do this? I would potentially be interested, it's a long haul from down south but I love cumbria so well worth it.

I guess for imagers power is more of an issue. I am purely visual so as long as I can recharge a power pack for my mount to run off I would be ok

Cheers

I am so pleased there is interest.

Hiya a10ken, I am situated in Longtown which is just North of Carlisle (by about 5 miles), how far is that from where you are? Is it about a couple of hours?

Stu, I am not sure when to hold this, I have had a reply from some one (I have posted this thread on the Star Parties forum also) who would like it to be held in the next couple of weeks as they are off work. I must say I really need some helpful advice (collimation Grrr) asap so I would like to hold it sooner rather than later. I suppose it could go ahead at a time which is best for everyone.

We have the field, dark skies, plenty of space to park cars and I forgot to mention I have a great little outbuilding with a toilet and sink in so we wont need to go down the portaloo road.

Electricity, my outbuilding have electricity so we do have a source I was worried that it was not in the field but it is really close by and our house is there also, plenty of sockets in there.

I think we should do this, what do you both think?? I only posted this last night and including both of you I have had 4 replies already.

Speak soon, Delilahtwinkle

Hi

Unfortunately, if it is next couple of weeks I wouldn't be able to make it, need a but more warning/negotiating time :-).

Maybe you could have a trial run with a small group and sort something larger out in a little while?

Stu

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

This sounds really interesting.

How's the drainage on the grass? I have an old vw campervan and could come up saturday and Sunday nights if I could be sure not to get stuck!

Probably just bring the dob (not the imaging rig) - would that be ok?

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob, I am sure all would be good for your campervan. There is quite a lot of hard standing should you be worried at all. I was actually worried that the ground in the field may be a tad too hard for camping. The drainage is quite good, you could park at the top of a slight slope - hey you would be even closer to the stars. If the worst case scenario happens (which I really don't think it will) my Son has a HGV that could pull you out. I do not think many people are imaging - I think people want to see what it is like here first. Speak soon DelilahT

Howdy Campers, I hope you all do not mind but I am going to start a new thread as we have date and location organised. The thread is going to have a I am pretty much 100% in feel to it. Then if you are pretty much 100% in you can add a post that way I can then send you a little attachment with address details, breakfast booking etc. I hope this does not confuse things. I was going to send you all a PM but I felt it could come across a tad intrusive.

Can I just quickly say how pleased I am that this is going ahead. I hope my skies are ok for you all. I am going to put little packs together so you all have an idea of what Cumbria has to offer to you through the day. Would we all like to do a little quiz in the evening?

Speak to you all soon, DelilahT

Archived