Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Impression/Light on dob 300p

ApOpLeXiA

Heya all, this will be brief as im in the middle of being stunned :)

First impression: Awesome!:D

, just watched great nebula in orion(m42??), and it was amzazing!< last weekend i looked at it with my maede etx80 and all i could soo was some grey fog....., now i saw much more detail, also all the stars so much brighter(not even completely dark yet and quite a light poluted area), i couldn't be happier

I watched an airplane!!!( one at 40* mag and one @ 150* mag)

Was quite funny!, every time i lost it i looked it up again in the finder and took another look....

The scope finder (easily allinged) works perfectly for me atm ( but thats probably because im looking at the ''obvious objects'' atm:P, once i get more experienced i might add something else)

some weird thing tho, i did see some greenish in the nebula? is this because it's not dark yet or because my eye is unexperienced, or is it normal?( im not sure but was expecting to see everything black and white)

only downside is that i have my scope inside atm(not on balcony) and i can only view Things between south and west :), so the waiting game begins!:)

If you have any suggestions on somthing i should look at plzz dont hessitate to PM me!, thank agian all for the help and kindness!

greetz, will edit post later with some an update ( im hoping to see a galaxy for the first time !!!)

Green is right for the orion nebula..Very odd the first time I know. Something to do with the eye being more sensitive to green..

Galaxies...Try the ones in Leo which will be South pretty soon. Start with M65/66..They are very faint compared to the Orion nebula even in a 12 inch so they take a bit more finding..but its worth the hunt...

Then try the others from my humble leo listing..

LEO

aslo try some doubles with a colour contrast..Iota Cancer etc...They are awesome in a dob..

Good luck..

Mark

Hi

Glad to hear your enjoying your new toy.:D

Nowt wrong with your eyes, greenish hues are quite commonly seen in M42.

As Mark said swing over to Leo and have a look at M65/66 then check out M95/96 and 105.

Good hunting.

Regards Steve

Heya all, this will be brief as im in the middle of being stunned :)

First impression: Awesome!:D

only downside is that i have my scope inside atm(not on balcony) and i can only view Things between south and west :), so the waiting game begins!:(

If you have any suggestions on somthing i should look at plzz dont hessitate to PM me!, thank agian all for the help and kindness!

greetz, will edit post later with some an update ( im hoping to see a galaxy for the first time !!!)

Great aren't they, glad you're enjoying it!

I view from a balcony which faces South South West, so I've been looking into targets around here:

M35/36/37/38 are clusters in and around Gemini & Auriga

M50/93 are quite close to Sirius

The above will be best after dark but not late.

There are loads of galaxies in Leo and Virgo, which will be quite high up in the SW at about 3am.

There may be some time discrepencies as were at different Latitude.

Download Stellarium if you haven't already done so, this will show you what is visible in your sky.

HTH and enjoy that scope! :)

Ed

thanks for the advice:), and yes i have stellarium for 3 devices:P, also use several other programs, just been busy restoring and the resetting my laptop :D,( and i thought mac was ''crash'' proof lol:P), now going back to see if the ''Leo'' is in range yet and will try to find a galaxy!

i have taken 2 images ( very poor quality) with a digicam through the eyepiece, it's probably really useless but i can't help but posting them :D

unfortunately there were some high level clouds and a bit of fog, so after observing m42 a bit and enjoying the view , i had not much 2 do :) , it seemed there wasn't enough light coming through and i will have to wait for a clear night!, also im hoping to transport is asap to my hometown to avoid the nasty light poluation as much as possible:P

post-25569-133877555021_thumb.png

post-25569-133877555042_thumb.jpg

There is more to see in and around M42, what eyepieces are you using? If you have a higher power eyepiece and or a barlow try zooming in on the core stars and seperating them.

As mentioned I think M35/36/37/38 should be in view, good conditions will help.

Hi,

Pleased to hear you are happy with the SW 300 dob,I've recently puchased the 250 version,as stated galaxy hunting season is upon us . If you can centre around M84-M86 in the Virgo cluster at x40-x60 mag you should be able to pick out loads of galaxies, a LPR filter will help if you have some light pollution but transporting to darker skies is probably the best bet.

If seeing is good and using about x250-300 mag you may still have time to split the Trapezium in the Orion Nebula before it gets too low in the west.6 stars are possible with the SW.

Archived