Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kembles Cascade and a power cut

Hobbes

I popped out last night for a quick session in the back garden and after playing hide and seek with the new searchlights my neighbours have installed to scare away the burglers :) I had a bash at finding Kembles Cascade and NGC 1502 in Camelopardalis. I lined up the Bins using the top 3 stars of Cassiopeia and after a little hunting found it. What a georgeous asterism! Definatelty going to be on my regular viewing list. I was about to pack away when all the lights in the neighbourhood went out - Powercut. Result!:D. Spent a wonderful 30 minutes looking at some of my favourites. The Double Custer, M44, NGC 2264, M3 and finally Saturn.

Then the power came back on....

You were very lucky with your power cut. When the power goes out here, the first thing that happens is a load of n-quadrillion-candlepower torches make their appearance, waving around (including straight at me and the scope), making things worse than having streetlights.

Have to agree with your assessment of KC and N1502 though.

The neighbours have been pretty decent about angling the lights to minimise the effect on my garden and we have just had a couple of nice bikes nicked by some little scroats from one of the garages in the lane so i can understand their point of view.

That being said it was wonderful to have no lights for a while. Whatever scope I get it's going to have to portable though.

Archived