Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Superb new iPad and iPhone apps from ESO

WhiteShiva

The Eurpean Southern Observatory have released three superb apps for the iPad and iPhone. They are called Portal To The Univers, Hubble Top 100, and ESO Top 100. And best of all they are all free! The pictures are absolutely amazing!!

Allie

• 2 months later...

skybond, if you are an iPhone developer, I would love an app that ties up focal length with eyepiece magnification and shows a view of what (eg Saturn) would look like with various focal length/magification combos - field of view/detail etc;?)

skybond, if you are an iPhone developer, I would love an app that ties up focal length with eyepiece magnification and shows a view of what (eg Saturn) would look like with various focal length/magification combos - field of view/detail etc;?)

Would just like to say that thats a fantastic idea and to show my support for the idea :) and it would be even better if you can show views of DSOs so people would know what to expect.

Hi Vulcan

Starmap Allows you to set up a number of scopes eyepieces and barlow/reducers - you can toggle between sky map and eyepiece view by flipping the phone over and back.

Even has the ability to download photos of the internet so you can see what the object will look like.

Not exactly as you would with the naked eye but you can still see how it fits into the eye piece.

You can change eye pieces simply by pinching to zoom.

It's a great piece of software -

I like it so much I bought the Pro version and the HD iPad version!

Clear skies

Paul

Archived