Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Levy (P/2006 T1) Comet

Astronomy magazine's comet section (usually P. 42) has

been terribly inaccurate the past few issues.

It's still saying Levy will be something worth watching! Not true!!!

However, put your hopes on the much brighter Comet Garradd

which will soon pass the globular cluster M92 in Hercules around

and before and after Feb. 3. This snowball is around 7th magnitude.

Bill - Massachusetts, USA

Each date/time mark = 0400hrs Eastern Standard Time. USA

garraddbtom92.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Astronomy magazine's comet section (usually P. 42) has

been terribly inaccurate the past few issues.

It's still saying Levy will be something worth watching! Not true!!!

Indeed, I've been saying this for the last couple of months in my newsletter and transient object page. I think it's really poor that the astro magazines are still plugging this comet. You could understand it if it had only recently become apparent, but this comet has been "lost" for years, and was recovered at mag 20 or so in December.

Indeed, I've been saying this for the last couple of months in my newsletter and transient object page. I think it's really poor that the astro magazines are still plugging this comet. You could understand it if it had only recently become apparent, but this comet has been "lost" for years, and was recovered at mag 20 or so in December.

Yeah, that's terrible. I mailed "Heaven's Above" (Chris Peat) as well a few weeks ago, just mentioning this to him that his figures are not up to date (He requests readers to report any found errors), but the comet still remains on his site listed as "Currently brighter than mag 12". I don't know if they don't trust the rest of us...?

Hmmm. Does anyone else remember when amateur astronomy used to be an observational hobby? :icon_salut:
Oh yes :evil:

I bought my first (6") mirror and flat from one "David Hinds" and built them into a 'scope.

In the days when Broadhurst Clarkson had only two names.

None of them were just importers :-(

Hmmm. Does anyone else remember when amateur astronomy used to be an observational hobby? :D

Yeah, it would still be if only the clouds would go away....:icon_salut: It seems like it was ages it was clear enough, can't recall it ever beeing this bad! Had a half-descent evening jan 23, trying to catch the occultation by 30 Urania that was seen across parts of Europe, but it was too blumming faint for the 5". Had a mag. limitation of 10.7 here from my the village and it wasn't enough :evil: (which I roughly figured for that particular part of the sky, but couldn't travel that night)

Anyways, are you saying this comet is available for smaller telescopes now? Did it surpass expectations?

Archived