Filters..is there a way to stop changing them for EP to EP?

I have just moved house and my garden suffers from a little light pollution so i'm after a LP filter or a good all round filter for LP and to view nebular (skywatcher uhc?).

My question is this, can you get some kind of adapter that the filter will screw into instead of taking it in and out of the EP's?,

i'm sure i seen on here somewhere that a 2" filter will fit in the 2" EP adapter and you can leave it in that but not sure, i have the adapter which came with my 200P dob but it has no screw thread,

someone help me as i dont think i could be asked to keep swapping the filter into different EP's

I've not heard of anyone putting a filter on an eyepiece adapter, but I see no reason in principle that it wouldn't work just fine.

Does your adapter have the proper threads? I've never seen one that was machined that way, but as long as the barrel of the eyepiece wasn't too long (didn't protrude below the adapter ring), it should be ok.

Most eyepiece adapters I've seen are much too short, however.

Other than that, if you don't like changing filters, spend a little time with Stellarium before your observing session, pick a series of targets that need the same filter, and plan your observing run that way. Then at least you minimize the number of changes.

Perhaps all you need is a little more organization.... at least, that's what Mrs. Astra is always telling me! :D

Dan

I use my 2" filters in either the 50mm extension that's always in my scope or the 2-1.25 adapter if using smaller eps. if you have no threads in your 2-1.25 adapter you could glue in a Baader fine tuning ring and this would then work. I use one of these in my adapters as some of my eyepieces have a nosepiece longer than the adapter - could lead to disaster in the dark and when tired! see http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/122780-novel-use-baader-fine-tuning-rings.html

Thanks for all your comments guys, helpful as always, now to decide what filter to get......UHC or OIII?

I'm in right in thinking that the UHC will help with Nebular and light pollution, where the OIII is just good for Nebular?

Hi Dave, I would buy a 2" filter and screw it on to the end of your diagonal. Regarding whether to get UHC or OIII - I would read the test/review by David Knisely (10/05/06) on Cloudy Nights where he compares these two filters on chosen objects and rates their effectiveness.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1520

Hope the link works but it does make interesting reading.

James

Archived