Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wilcox rotating rings

altec

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, Try B&Q - they stock 20mm dia clear soft hose on a reel which you cut to length. It was around 60p/m when I last bought some. Just thread the metal clip through. You'll find it where they stock chain and rope on a reel. Makes life very easy!

Cheers Tony

I would be careful using softer hose, the reason that Andy used the garden edging was that it was a harder plastic, this stopped any binding when trying to rotate the OTA. The softer hose dose create a lot of friction on the OTA rings.

ok thanks for the reply's

i let you kown what i can find

hula hoops that brings back some memories think i need some wd40 to use one these days

most kids of today don't no what they are hihi

The reason I gave the Hula hoop link was that it is the best to fit the needs of the tube. If you buy tube that is too soft it will bind on the OTA rings and if you buy tube that is too hard it will collapse when you try and bend it round the OTA, but Hula Hoops are hard and already moulded in a circle.

The other thing is, you do not have to build two rings, unless you are going to rotate the OTA while pointing at the floor, so you will only have to find 1 jubilee clip big enough or two smaller ones that you can join together; that is what I did for my 10” newt.

Good luck with whatever you come up with and don’t forget to post picies of your solution?

cheers malc - just found they come in standard sizes - i need 10.5 for 250mm scope. Now to find the tubing.... May try out LPG gas pipe as thats flexible but tough. (orangle flexy tube like u get with camping gas)

cheers malc - just found they come in standard sizes - i need 10.5 for 250mm scope. Now to find the tubing.... May try out LPG gas pipe as thats flexible but tough. (orangle flexy tube like u get with camping gas)

Sorry.. don't follow - 10.5 and your scope is a 250mm ?

I've measured the circumference of the 200P tube and its 750mm min :D

where is the best place to get hose clamps from? most places i been to only sell short ones?

If you can't find a large enough one you could always join two smaller ones together to make one. This is what I did when I made a rotating ring for my old scope.

Rowan, that's excellent -

Simon, I may of missed something, but what is the white material you made your wilcox rings from

It is a length of cable box conduit you put electric cables in. I used it originally because on my old Orion GX250 the OTA rings where very shallow and would ride underneath a curved Wilcox ring, so I had to use something flat. I have not got round to updating it yet.

I have measured the truncking and it is 1". I used the front part of the truncking, the bit you slide/snap on once your cable is in the bit you stuck to the wall (if you are using it for the intended purpose that is).

Here is a link to the size I used, sorry but the original link in earlier post was wrong size.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Trunking_Pvc_Index/MiniTrunking_2/index.html

Archived