Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SMOG!

adamsp123

High level thin cloud is a pain. Pick targets that are straight up above you, that way you are looking through as little as possible of it. I often have a ring of orange around me up to about 20 degrees but relatively black higher up.

There's a high mist here too. Nearly always is.

If it went it would be glorious.

Last night was the same but I risked it and went out and set up the mount as I wanted to align the polarscope to the mount.

As soon as I was ready it clouded over. I waited 2 hours and no joy. I kind you not, I packed up (took 30mins) came outside for a tab and it was crystal :D lol

Only for 10 mins but it would have been enough for the job I had in mind.

What it is with people and bonfires tonight? Its not like its Nov 5th. Maybe you should wait a bit, it might improve.

lol

Same here. I think the lovely few days we've had has had people out in the gardens clearing up. It's my only theory :D

Same here in Bradford as well. I had high hopes for tonight but it wasn't to be. :p

Looked good when I set up but I quickly realised it wouldn't be much cop. Had a look at Mizar & Alcor which minimised the amount of cloud to look through.

LP is pretty bad where I am but last night we had a great view of Saturn & Titan, tonight as mentioned above, very difficult to get & keep focus.

Ah well, roll on tomorrow night. :D

Breaking news, the "smog" is thinning a little so I have started a run to see how it goes, it is not high cloud here just low fog/smoke stuck down in the severn valley.

Lol... no way!

Youre probably just down the road then. I moved there about a year ago and though its darker skies than Bham, it seems to be prone to quite a bit of fog/mist every now and then.

Last night I had originally planned to start with M51, but the sky was a bit ropey in that area so i went for the Bodes for a couple of hours until M51 had risen a bit more. Will be out again tonight (if clear), and probably the same targets.

Archived