Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader-Boom!

Hi all,

Sitting in my Zen-like state while cleaning my eyepieces today and "ommm"-ing meditatively, I pondered the ever so quiet assault on the astronomy market by Baader.

Everyone hears loads of stuff about Skywatcher, TeleVue, Orion, Vixen etc but Baader have a relatively low-profile in the astro-world, at least in the British magazines anyway.

Ok, the Baader Zoom eyepieces, Hyperions and Ortho's are the most well-known of the Baader products perhaps, but as I cleaned my eyepieces (using my Baader Optical Wonder cleaning kit) and then put them in the Baader Steeltrack focuser on my ED Triplet to admire them, I thought about the other ways that Baader have infiltrated my collection.

My solar wedge is made by Baader, as are the ND and Solar Continum filters that I use with it. The white light filter I used to have was constructed of Baader Astrosolar Safety Film. My eyepiece case will soon house a set of excellent quality Baader Genuine Orthoscopic eyepieces. The next time I use my 12" Dob I'll be trying out my new ultra wide angle eyepieces with a "Multi Purpose Coma Corrector" - made by Baader!

If I wanted to make the investment I could buy Baader ERF's for making a solar H-alpha scope; could replace all my visual backs with Baader click-lock accessory mounts; could collimate my Newt using a Baader laser collimator, and could even mount everything on a Baader tripod.

What a brilliant company! Why don't we hear more about them? Why aren't they as big as the other "big names" in the astronomy press?

Here's to Baader Planetarium... :)

Ant

Excellent post, Ant. You're quite right in what you say.

I myself have

- a Baader C-ERF (practically the only thing on the market that does what it does)

- Astrosolar film (ditto)

- a Zeiss barlow with Baader Clicklock (simply the best locking system there is)

- the Hyperion zoom (biggest FOV in an 8-24mm zoom)

- Optical Wonder fluid (best cleaning fluid??)

- a Neodymium filter.

A Steeltrack focuser is looking like a very attractive upgrade for my ED120 at the moment...

I've never come across a duff Baader product - they generally hit the right price point, with excellent quality. The other remarkable thing they do so well is adaptors - they make practically any adaptor you could need.

Yet strangely, so few retailers seem to stock a good selection of their products, which perhaps explains why it's not one of the best-known manufacturers in UK.

To quote Fifth Element - Bing Baader Boom! :)

:(

Andrew

I have a 31mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric and I love it. The views are sharp with no false colour. For a 31mm EP it weighs next to nothing and has the option of using it as 1.25". Also have the astrosolar film for those long summer days.

From my memory, Baader took over Zeiss's amateur astronomy division, so some Baader stuff is actually Zeiss in disguise. I think Baader does get a lot of attentions, but the fact they are an accessories firm and don't make OTA and mount means they aren't as famous as the Skywatcher, Celeston etc...

great OP Ant! I've never used any Baader product but somehow have a perception that they are something very special (research grade). I wonder how that is.

I'd love to buy the Baader Prominence Attachement but its about £1400 I think. sigh!

So there's nothing wrong with ordering an Astrozap Baader Solar filter for a Nexstar 8SE (from firstlightoptics)?

Seems to be the only one I can find fairly cheap and in stock anywhere.

Archived