NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New scope for Born Again observer.

This is my first post though I have browsed as a guest for a while, thanks for all the information you regulars provide, its a very interesting read. I used to have a Celestron 102 (Vixen Japanese version) on a Gp Eq mount, I found the mount hard work and to help finding things I fitted a set of electronic setting circles, this helped but hassle of set up and light pollution (mag 4 - 4.5 best) meant I sold it about 6 years ago, at quite a loss :rolleyes: I now own a pair of 20 x 80 binos on a photo tripod but fancy getting something to view the planets in greater detail again. I have considered the following :-

Celestron 102 SLT Goto (may be hassle to set up, not brilliant quality but great for finding things)

Skywatcher 80ED (great quality, will fit on my photo tripod, less detail / aperture than my previous scope)

Skywatcher 200 Dobsonian (Good quality, much greater Aperture and easy set up)

I have convinced myself that the Dob will be the best value for money and will show the most detail. What do you think ? If I get the scope can you recommend a low power eyepiece (32mm ?) for sensible money?

Many thanks in advance.

Martin

Welcome to the forum Onslowe, with regard to the Dob. choice...

You could do worse than this:-

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=10194.0

I know it's been withdrawn, but I think that was due to lack of interest. The Reveleation has better mechanicals than the Skywatcher Dob. as it has a Crayford focuser. Maybe a friendly PM wuold be in order?

Captain Chaos

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice :wink: Its a shame the Rev 8" and 10" are no longer available they looked like a bargain. I have seen the second hand Rev on ebay now mated with an Eq mount (trying to avoid the Eq route this time, the Pole is not easy to observe from my location) looks like a good outfit but not for me, its also a 400 mile round trip! Thanks for the tip off though. I was thinking of going the Skywatcher 8" Dob route so that if i do not like the Dob mount I can always sell and upgrade to something else and not lose too much, or upgrade to a bigger Dob. There is a local Observatory but the day the club uses it is a bit difficult for me to attend and it always rains on a Friday anyway :rolleyes: I might look at some other 2nd hand scopes but do not want to miss anther winters observing so will have to be quick.

Cheers

Martin

I used to have a Celestron Vixen 102 and I'm not sure that today's ED80s would put in much less performance, especially on planets, because of the ED element in the objective. The old Vixen might have the edge on galaxies and other deep-sky objects, but probably not much. The ED80, which is apparently a clone of one of the 1990s 80mm Vixens, has gained a massive reputation, and those who have used them say they are the best of the Skywatcher ED refractor line-up.

I was thinking of going the Skywatcher 8" Dob route so that if i do not like the Dob mount I can always sell and upgrade to something else and not lose too much, or upgrade to a bigger Dob.

Or put some rings on the tube and drop it onto a GEQ.

Sounds like you know where you are going :rolleyes:

Well I've put my hand in my pocket and ordered the Skyliner 200 Dob from the very helpful Steve at FLO. Next i will be looking for some advice on eyepices, 1 for widefield (thinking 32mm Meade 4000 Plossl) and also a high power Planetary eyepiece (5mm Ortho?), any suggestions greatfully accepted. Also a Moon filter and Cheshire eyepiece, any recommendations ? (Steve did not have then in stock at the time). One of the reasons I am getting the Dob is I fancy tinkering with it a bit but will post a specific question on a new thread. Thanks for all the advice but sorry for keeping the clouds over the North East (New scope = cloud magnet ).

Cheers,

Martin

Archived