Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO Megrez 110!

:shock: Just £50 more than I paid for my Megrez 90 (though that included a 2inch dielectic diagonal) - no wonder there's a chap trying to sell his 90 for £850 on Astro Buy & Sell, though somehow I doubt he'll get that now.

I can't see the 90's going back up to their "original" price either - I wonder if WO ever really intended to do that :rolleyes:

John

The William Optics range is getting quite confusing - the Ian King web site lists a number of 110mm WO apo scopes ranging from £850 to £2,000 - the main differences between them are the optics I think - are we entering an era of apo's and super-apo's I wonder ?

John

the level of correction certainly pushes the price up. However personally I cannot tell the difference between a £10,000 tak and a £2000 WO, others can but I can't. It's the old 80/20 rule tbh.

I'de like a nice 110 f/6 ED doublet in a nice tube for cheap.... oh wait... thats the 110 megrez! Although it's still a little expensive for my blood atm

the level of correction certainly pushes the price up. However personally I cannot tell the difference between a £10,000 tak and a £2000 WO, others can but I can't. It's the old 80/20 rule tbh.

An interesting article here comparing Extremely expensive apos with the merely expensive http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=506

Looking at the blurb on the WO web site, the Megrez 110 is described as having a 2 element, air spaced, ED objective lens wheras the Megrez 90 has an air spaced, FPL-53 doublet.

I wonder if the 110 objective is made using a lower cost ED glass than FPL-53 ? - or are WO just sloppy in the way they describe their specifications ?.

John

Been on to the W.O. yahoo groups and the general consensus is that it IS FPL-51 is one of the glasses. One member states a confirmation of this from W.O. themselves.

Still should be a fine performer tho and at the intro price of £850 a bit of a bargain, especially when it includes cnc rings and the usual W.O. hard case. If I wasn't so rooked for dosh I'd be very tempted.

Andy.

Thats interesting. A brief report comparing the WO ZS80 FD (which uses a doublet with an FPL-53 element) and the new Meade 80mm Apo (a triplet incorporating glass similar to FPL-51) has just gone onto Astromart. Not much difference between them according to the reviewer - despite the Meade's slightly shorter focal length. Shows that FPL-53 and Flourite are not the "be all and end all" of a good apochromats.

John

Archived