Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8 SE - problems with finderscope

I've just bought a Celestron Nexstar 8 SE and am having difficulty aligning the finderscope with the scope. I manage to centre a bright object in the eyepiece, but when it comes to get it centred in the finderscope, the azimuth/altitude knobs don't turn far enough so I can't do it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they resolve it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :o

Try re-seating the finder on it's base to make sure it's fitting properly, or consider packing out the base at the back or front depending on which direction your finder needs to go to match the scope.

Another option is to try a different finder like a Telrad but of course that's going to cost you.

Try this - step by step:

1. make sure the finder bracket is seated properly and firmly.

2. the finder should be centered in the bracket - usually this is two sets of three screws - one set toward the front of the finder, one set toward the back.

3. set the scope up and point to a telephone pole, or corner of a building at least a mile away. Center this object in your lowest power eyepiece - lock the scope firmly in position.

4. Using the rear set of screws for the finder scope (those closest to the finder and eyepiece) You can now adjust the finder so the cross hairs are on the same corner of the building as in the center of the eyepiece.

5. Once you have everything centered - try switching to a higher power eyepiece (60-100x) (Without moving the scope!!!) and 'tune' your finderscope settings.

Remember: You may have to loosen one screw before you can tighten another on the opposite side. This push-pull system is a little tricky and it may take some getting used to. If things are VERY out of whack (you try to adjust but you don't have enough screw travel) you may have to adjust the front set of screws, too. This complicates the 'push-pull', so try to avoid it if you can.

I hope that helps!

Dan

I've just bought a Celestron Nexstar 8 SE and am having difficulty aligning the finderscope with the scope. I manage to centre a bright object in the eyepiece, but when it comes to get it centred in the finderscope, the azimuth/altitude knobs don't turn far enough so I can't do it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they resolve it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :o
Not sure if your finder scope is the same as mine, but I had the same problem - if you losen the thumb screw which you use to secure the finder to the OTA is there enough play to "point" the finder scope in the right direction becaause mine doesn't sit correctly on its mount and when I tighten it - it is forced away from the front of the scope and there isn't enough adjustment available to align the dot to what is seen in the EP - I cured it my "packing out" the base of the mount - difficult to explain, but easy to do - see picture - I used a plastic cable tie and cut it down.

I'm also speaking to Celestron to try to get a replacement mount.

post-23280-133877546021_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. It all sounds very complicated and I thought it was supposed to be easier with the 8 SE! Having another look at it, I don't think the bracket that the finder sits in is positioned correctly so I'll have a play around with that. I have to say though, I'm not at all impressed with the quality of the finder! It feels very flimsy compared to the rest of the equipment and the red dot can be very wayward!

While we're on the subject of finders, would it be worth investing in a better one? I've been looking at the Orion 50mm RACI finder and I notice that Celestron do a straight one. Does anybody have any opinions on either of these? Also, can you tell me how they work if they're not RDFs? I don't want to pay for something that I still can't get along with.

Cheers,

KatieM :o

I've got a 6SE. It has a red dot finder that looks different to the one in Sim's photo. The mount is certainly different. I struggled with it, so bought a Telrad. Pricey for what it is, but it's so much better! Apparently loads of people swear by them.

While we're on the subject of finders, would it be worth investing in a better one? I've been looking at the Orion 50mm RACI finder and I notice that Celestron do a straight one. Does anybody have any opinions on either of these? Also, can you tell me how they work if they're not RDFs? I don't want to pay for something that I still can't get along with.

KatieM :o

Hi Katie,

Yes, a better finder is always a blessing. The 'red dot' finders are ok, but they don't do more than general pointing. To find more difficult targets, you need a bit more magnification and a crosshair, too! A 50mm finder is wonderful - plenty of light for a nice image - and you can take it with you if you upgrade to a bigger scope later.

Dan

Thanks for that info guys. That's what I thought you'd say. A couple of questions though. How does the Orion finder work if it's not using a red dot? Is it cross-hairs, circles or something else? Also will it fit on my 8 SE or will I need a different bracket?

I shall be so happy when I've got the finderscope sorted out and I can finally start using my scope properly!

Cheers,

Katie :)

i had a little problem with mine setting it up, i had to lossen the scope bracket and turn it alittle to the right and then the red dot side ways adjuster had to be fully wound to the side. strange as it was neaver a problem with the 6" sct

My son said he didn't think the bracket was set correctly so we'll have a look at that when he comes over again.

What do you think of the Orion RACI finder? I was thinking of maybe upgrading to that one.

Cheers,

Katie

The Orion 9x50 Raci's are smashing. Quality bit of kit and highly useable. I have two of them on my dob and sct. Very crisp and very clear and a joy to use for my back - don't have to get into awkward positions any more like I did with the straight through finder. Uses cross hairs. Highly recommended :)

I think there's a smaller one too which I assume is the same quality - make sure you get the correct foot for fitting it to the scope - the sct one.

Thanks for that info. I wondered if the foot might be different so I'll make sure I get the right one. I think I might find crosshairs easier than the red dot to use.

As it's so clear today, I'm going to have one more go at aligning the finder but if it doesn't work, I'll upgrade to the Orion Raci. I'll probably do that anyway!

Am thinking about joining your group. Will see if my son would like to join too.

Cheers,

Katie

Hi Katie - you'd be very welcome to join EMS - just click the link in my signature to go straight to the main EMS page.

We have to dark sites - Sawley and Belper - and we organise social events and block bookings to major star parties, conferences, etc. Leave an intro thread so the guys can say hi and you'll get extra info there :)

Hi guys, Just thought you'd like to know that I've finally got my finder and scope more or less aligned. Just need to do a bit of adjustment on the next clear night. I'm sooo happy. At last I can start using my scope properly. Was able to have a good look at Saturn and the Pleides the other night without spending ages trying to find them. Amazing!

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I've no doubt I'll need more soon!!!

Happy viewing!

• 11 months later...

Amazes me how many people put up with **** parts even to the extent of thinking that it's okay to have to purchase new one's from different manufacturers. I won't accept 'it's built for a price', if that's the case then don't bother with full colour packaging, printed manuals, CD's, etc. Things that aren't needed. Use that saving in improving items like the finderscope and tripod.

Archived