Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ashamed to post this

geoff_k

When I think what I have been able to achieve with Saturn in the past, last nights effort was pathetic.

The weather and arthritis have kept me indoors quite a bit for the past few months but this was my third attempt at Saturn in the last two weeks and the others were a waste of disk space and not even as good as this pile of c**p.

Used the 10 inch Newtonian, 4 x Imagemate and ATIK camera with an IR filter. Should have gone to bed and not bothered.

Heigh-ho

Geoff

post-13129-133877545724_thumb.jpg

Just me venting off steam. Three late nights recently and very little to show for them.

That's astronomy for you.

Yes it is, but it all becomes worthwhile sooner or later. At least you can see what it is and the cassini division is visible so not all bad.

On a positive note, there is always next time, something to look forward to.

Saturn is particulaly hard this year in the uk Geoff, two things will hinder you, seeing and signal strength, seeing you will have to wait for. signal strength you can do something about. my advice is to try to get a power thats a fine balance between resolution, and a good healthy signal. without a healthy signal, especially in colour, you will pay for it with a dim grainy washed out image. if you say you was at 4x with this, i would suggest a straight 3x, or if you have a 2x start to experiment with different tube lengths a 2x barlow with between 1 to 2 inch extensions should be rough figure to be thinking about, this is the way i got a semi reasonable colour shot recently. though i did use a mono DMK single shot colour will be harder still. At least your trying, and if you can work on the ideas im suggesting i reckon you can improve the captures. my first results were also off. saturn will make you work for it, its seeing and signal strength Geoff. those are the problems to be beaten if possible.

the cassini is there, and good scale. Infact enough scale to try what i suggest i reckon. colour looks very green here Geoff

I think it's OK. Cassini clearly on view.

I agree with Neil in that you need more light, cutting back on the barlow will give you that. X2 or X3....

Have you got the gamma up to 1 (100 for my USB DMK) I accidentally knocked mine down to around 70, As I didn't have this setting displayed it wasn't obvious. Led to terrible onion rings on Jupiter. :o

Cheers

Understand chaps and I am aware of most of that. An attempt with a lower power was just as bad.

It was almost as though somebody was boiling a kettle in front of the telescope. I have never known seeing to be so bad for such a prolonged period as in this winter.

If I look back over my shoulder in the direction of the town the skyglow is very noticeable and permeates a good percentage of the sky. I can only recall one night and that was in December when that wasn't the case.

You are of course right when you say Saturn is low this year so that only compounds the problems.

You can't win and why should you as that would take the fun away from it all.

Geoff

sometimes i think you can win Geoff, and stubbornly try different tecniques to force it to happen. though of course even doing these things, if seeing doesnt calm, likely it wont be good. but the point is by then, if seeing does calm you have already worked out a best strategy, ready for the challenge. i was experimenting for sometime with different focal lengths and two different cameras, before i started getting good results, and like you, i know the basics too. But i belive each target has to be perfected as far as focal lengths go, ( in my case using a 2x barlow experimenting with different tubes to find exactly the right optimum focal length for my scope camera, and seeing around here, for saturns brightness this year.) even though we know the basics Thats always the best way i think. though for a while i thought saturn was going to be a blow out this year, I dont think it will be, i think much better is coming. If all else fails pub sounds good to me too. Experimet Geoff, untill seeing calms it should at some point. we have time.

When I think what I have been able to achieve with Saturn in the past..............

Geoff

I remember some of your planetary images from yesteryear Geoff,conditions will improve I'm sure (he typed with fingers crossed). At leased you have seen "ringed one" which is more than I can claim.Only been out twice so far this year.......worst conditions I can remember.:)

I had a quick tinker with your image in PhotoShop and if to play with the colour balance and use the blur/sharpen tools the result may not be up to your usual standards but still presentable all things considered.

post-13495-133877546998_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived