NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Dobsonian 6 incher or 8?

reader34

Which Skyliner Dobsonian Should I get  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which Skyliner Dobsonian Should I get

• The 6 inch
    • The 8 inch

Ok guys. Been on this forum for a few months (part of the Stargazing Live crowd) and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. However, I'm a bit unsure on which size telescope to get.

When I was younger I was given a Tasco 3 incher for my birthday, was about 8 and didn't have a clue how to use it. So over the years the scope was hardly used, did see Saturn through it and still can remember it to this day :o A little white dot with a ring around it lol.

I went into a telescope store in Norwich called Viking something. Spoke to the gentleman about telescopes etc lol. Saw a Skywatcher 6 incher ( solid tube) at the front of the shop and was like "cool", then saw a 8 incher or (200p Flex tube?) and was like " Awesome" ha.

Now I have basic knolwedge of the sky so far, so a Go-To mount is really what I'm after, just viewing for now. So I've got about £300 to spend.

1. Drive down and get the 6 incher today? lovely clear morning :(

2. Drive down and get the 8 incher, but will have to order it.

3. Get 1 of them on the internet?

4. What is it like going from an old 3 incher Tasco to one of these?

Anyways, I hope I haven't bored you with my rambling lol.

Thanks for any replys in advance.

Reader

Hi, I recently got the 8". I'm really pleased with it, but if I could have, I would have got the 10".

Get the 8". Here's my review: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/132996-skywatcher-skyliner-200p-8-dob.html

Finding objects with a Dob is great fun, so personally I wouldn't advise go to.

If you want to ask anything about it, fire away!

PS These may be out of stock at many places in the UK, but Teleskop Express have them in, £25 delivery.

HTH,

Ed

I had the same dilemma - and went for the 6 inch - although that's really cos I only gave myself a £200 budget. From what I've heard elsewhere it boils down to the 8" will allow more light gathering and, therefore, to see slightly fainter things but the 6" has a longer focal ratio, meaning it will be more forgiving to use, there's is also more money in the pot to purchase extra eyepieces etc.

If money wasn't a concern I would probably have gone for the 8" - but I am very happy with the 6" - but not having tried both I cannot say which would be best.

(nice bit of fence sitting at the end there...)

Hey everyone!

Well what a morning I had. Went in town, got to the shop. Checked my wallet..NO DEBIT card :o. Had to go back home get my card, went back again. Got to the shop and it was closed, on a monday!!!.

Went to the tourist information place, and guesss what. There was a Werehouse express a mile away. A mile away! lol.

So I've decided to go for an 8".

Can't wait. I feel like a kid again ha!

Thanks for everyone's input

And Clear Skies

Good choice, you won't be disappointed :o

I adore the 8" that I have been lent my local astro club, a decent sized aperture and a good compromise between size and portability, plus it is a cinch to use when you learn the fine art of hand tracking and star hopping .

Reader,

I am glad you have actually seen both scopes. I once went for 'aperture is king', bought a 10" dob that was a pain to shift, and I did not really have the space in my garden to make proper use of it. As such it got about as much use as your 3".

That said, I would agree with previous posters that a larger aperture is better than a smaller aperture, if you are going to be able to use it.

And IMO either would blow your tasco out of the water.

Reader,

I am glad you have actually seen both scopes. I once went for 'aperture is king', bought a 10" dob that was a pain to shift, and I did not really have the space in my garden to make proper use of it. As such it got about as much use as your 3".

That said, I would agree with previous posters that a larger aperture is better than a smaller aperture, if you are going to be able to use it.

And IMO either would blow your tasco out of the water.

Yeah that was my biggest concern about size. Seeing pictures and videos on youtube didin't quite to it for me. Luckly for me I got to see both in real life. I definitely recommend anyone who is concerned to go see one in real life first :o

Archived