Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade fever! Help.

solarwallace

Sigh.

I thinking of selling my SW 150P and 130 Heritage mini dob. Bought the mini to fit in a small campervan we no longer have. We've got a bigger vehicle now and I think some Revelation 15x70's would be fine for grab and go fun. I tend to prefer using the EQ3-2 anyway as it's easier to track stuff with the slow mo controls on that mount. Neither scope does my back any favours but I can usually find a way around that with the EQ mount.

This would give me a chunk of cash towards a 200P EQ5 (from FLO of course). That's about my budget limit really. Maybe not a massive upgrade but the mount would be better in the long run if I want to motorise it I guess? (I've got an SPC880 waiting to be played with when the skies clear). There's more light gathering there too which would help when looking at DSO's which I love finding. A dob would good in that sense but as mentioned I like the idea of doing a bit of planetary photography. I've got a DSLR as well which I think can be connected directly on these newer SW scopes. Not fussed about a goto although I think this mount could be upgraded to that in the future.

I originally got into all this to just look at the moon! This is a very slippery slope. Fun though.

Someone tell me I shouldn't be thinking of doing this :o

Steve

I think you are making a good decision personally. the 8" newt will give you about 50" of light gathering area and the 6" gives 28" so it's a noticeable jump in performance. the EQ5 should also be a better mount but with a bigger scope the end result may be similar stability.

not sure about photography but I'm sure you'd be able to get some good webcam images with tracking.

good luck.

If "Neither scope does my back any favours" then how will a heavier scope make things any better? An 8" will be about twice the weight, possibly more of the 6".

Suppose it could make a doorstop.

At least an EQ5 isn't that bad on the weight side.

Upgrading is fine if you have existing gear to fund it and dont mind selling it to raise those funds.

Not sure if i'd swap a Heritage 130P for a set of 15x70 bins though. But if the 130P gives your back gip..............then BIG bins on a tripod is a good solution/replacement.

Not sure if i'd swap a Heritage 130P for a set of 15x70 bins though.

Well you're sure right about that but I intend to take the scope along most of the time. I know it'll be big but there's room in the van and it can live in it's own 'utility' tent when I get to the other end. It's what I did at New Year in the lakes. Mind you I had to wait for 7 nights for clear skies :o

Steve

Well you're sure right about that but I intend to take the scope along most of the time. I know it'll be big but there's room in the van and it can live in it's own 'utility' tent when I get to the other end. It's what I did at New Year in the lakes. Mind you I had to wait for 7 nights for clear skies :o

Steve

Bigger van+ bigger scope+ no back pain=paradise

Go for it.

Well the 150's gone (that was quick). I've now got to move on my 130 and the polar scope. I'll miss my 150 (until I get my 200!).

The guy that's bought the 150 is a newbie so I've told him about the forum so he's probably lurking around somewhere :o

Archived