Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 6SE accessories

Hi

I have purchased a celestron 6SE for viewing and also have the celestron eyepiece and filter kit which includes moon filter, barlows etc.

Is there anything else I will definitely need in the short term? Having read other posts I think a dew shield will be needed...do I buy one or make my own? Will I need a heater? Am I missing anything?

All tips/advice welcomed from this newbie.

Thanks

Stu

A power tank is more or less essential for the 6se. The batteries just don't have the omph and drain very quickly. Some people use one from Maplin but I've been stung too many times by Maplin's rubbish to chance it. I have the SkyWatcher 7ah and it works well so far. £50 (Also includes a strong white flashlight, a red torch and TWO cigarette-lighter type sockets).

A USB-serial adpator will allow you to connect to your computer. Get one from a reputable astro dealer like FLO - some don't work at all - about £25.

An Astrozap dew shield for the 6se costs about £20 but you could make one if you are handy.

A focal reducer might be helpful for DSOs as it reduces the focal length and gives a wider aperture (f6.3). £150

There is a piggy back camera mount for the 6se that fits between the tube and the red dot finder. Useful for short exposure photography of constellations or the moon.

I could go on but you would need a bottomless purse ;?)

Hi Stu, I have the 6SE, the only thing I would say is yes you are right with a dew shield, but the most important thing is power. This scope is power hungry, it will eat batteries for breakfast. Get a power pack of some kind. Celestron do one, but there are cheaper options available, people are using jump start power packs from local DIY shops. Have a look at the celestron then you will know what you are looking for.

Thanks Vulcan, very useful info.

Think I'll definitely buy a dewshield...not particularly "handy".

Is your pwer tank 7ah, or 17ah? I saw the skywatcher was slightly less expensive than the celestron and they appeared to be identical.

It is true, if only we all had a bottomless pit of cash!

Thanks again.

Stu

Hi

Absolutely agree with above.

DewShield definately

The scope chews through batteries !

I have one of those mains to 12v adaptors and have outside mains socket so just run mine that way.

I'm going to get a focal reducer very soon.

If you get a usb adaptor you can connect up to stellerium and computer control your goto.

Just a word on adaptors, don't get the cheapest one off flea bay as I did and even with the recommended "prolific" chipset, it still wouldn't work off my laptop. Went to Astronomiser (paid top $ :() but worth it to get one that works.

And yep I've got a 2 x barlow.

Hope that info is of use.

Regards

Neil

Thanks Vulcan, very useful info.

Think I'll definitely buy a dewshield...not particularly "handy".

Is your pwer tank 7ah, or 17ah? I saw the skywatcher was slightly less expensive than the celestron and they appeared to be identical.

It is true, if only we all had a bottomless pit of cash!

Thanks again.

Stu

I have the 7ah PowerTank which is more than enough and I only need to charge it once a fortnight. Yes, the Celestron and SkyWatcher are badge engineered, they are identical.

Stu

I have a 6SE and would say powertank ... jump starter from Maplins is what I use, Portable Jump Starter and Air Compressor Free Delivery : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin lasts well over one full night of observing and has never let me down ... frequently on offer for £25/£30

Dewshield ... does not need to be difficult. I got a piece of black card from Hobbycraft and folded it into a tube and stuck the edges together, then cut a small notch to fit round the dovetail bar. Does a really good job.

A BIG THANKS to you all! Wow, what a friendly and informed bunch you are on SGL. Great place for a newbie like me to start :(

Power pack and dew shield it definitely is then. I'm sure getting to know the workings of the telescope will keep me busy for some considerable time.

As for the dew shield I am not handy either but £5 from a camping shop for one of those camping mats and they are easy to make the shield should project about 1and a half time the length of the apparture and I used velcro strips to hold it together

I'm sure getting to know the workings of the telescope will keep me busy for some considerable time.

Still learning here, but when you've got a good align, it's a wonderful piece of kit.

Although primarily an excellent planetary scope, it can still punch above it's wait for DSOs.

I'm really pleased with mine.

As well as the focal reducer I mentioned, in a months time I hope to purchase a Baader Hyperion 13mm EP as I've read so many good things about adding this eyepiece to a SCT.

You'll be busy....just hope you get the clear skies to compliment it :(

Neil

when it`s clear in the day i use mine on the sun with a proper solar filter of course, its great for looking at sun spots,

i`ve just upgraded to an 8"se so i have the 6" filter available now for sale, if you fancy it send me a pm to discuss, hope i`m not pushing my gear.

Archived