NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

televue eyepieces panoptic nagler

I have been reading quite alot lately and over and over i keep reading that eyepieces are half if not more of your equiptment and i know how true this is because i was into photography and a good 35mm or DSLR camera only performs exceptionally with good lenses.

Plus i have been reading lots of other forum members posts going on about how good certain (televue, pentax and others) eyepieces are and i like to listen to people who have actually owned kit than people who have not.

Now my new scope is due to arrive shortly (skywatcher skyliner 200P F5.91 fl1200mm) with the standard skywatcher 25mm & 10mm EP's, i spoke to steve at FLO and he actually told me that the 25mm was OK but the 10mm was not so good and this has got me thinking....

I have been on my PC since 7pm and i have only gone and done it....I have bought 2 EP's and i have not got my scope yet.

Televue Panoptic 24mm

Televue Nagler 13mm

Well you only live once and i did change my scope purchase from a Celestron 6SE to the Skywatcher Skliner 200P, so what i saved has bought me 2 good EP's (well that's the way i see it) lol.

Later i will buy the Televue Radian 6mm to join my other EP's.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations !

They are both superb eyepieces in my opinion but what matters is what you think of them - please post your impressions of them when you get a chance, especially how they compare to the standard eyepieces supplied with the scope.

It must have been a nervous moment, spending more on a couple of eyepieces than you have on the scope !.

The Panoptic is a beaut of an eyepiece at 24mm and will be great in the 200P especially on the larger dso's. I've used one of those but not the Nagler so won't comment on that. My 13mm is the Ethos and that's something else - amazing is putting it mildly.

I also have some Radians (12mm, 8mm, 5mm) which are fabulous ep's. You can pick up Radians for around £100 s/h in excellent condition if you keep your eye's peeled. You'll find TV's are probably the best you can get and Pentax's very close in performance. You've surely spoiled yourself with that starter setup lol :(

I've recently bought the 24 mm Pan too. It's really lovely. I have the 27 mm and 19 mm also, both of which are top notch. You've made a good choice. I was tempted by the 13 mm Nagler too, but in the end bought the Explore Scientific clone, which is 14 mm and pretty damn good for the money. I do have the 7 mm Nagler, though, and that gets used a lot.

You'll love the EPs you bought, well worth the money, particularly if you upgrade to a faster scope at some point. Chalk and cheese compared to most scope-included eyepieces.

Congratulations !

They are both superb eyepieces in my opinion but what matters is what you think of them - please post your impressions of them when you get a chance, especially how they compare to the standard eyepieces supplied with the scope.

It must have been a nervous moment, spending more on a couple of eyepieces than you have on the scope !.

I can assure you it was a nervous moment spending £370 on the 2 EP's but from owners and users of the Televue EP's all you hear is praise and it is a lifetime investment as one might change there scope but EP's can be kept and used on multiple scopes.

I will post how they perform compared to the standard EP's that come with my scope.

The Panoptic is a beaut of an eyepiece at 24mm and will be great in the 200P especially on the larger dso's. I've used one of those but not the Nagler so won't comment on that. My 13mm is the Ethos and that's something else - amazing is putting it mildly.

I also have some Radians (12mm, 8mm, 5mm) which are fabulous ep's. You can pick up Radians for around £100 s/h in excellent condition if you keep your eye's peeled. You'll find TV's are probably the best you can get and Pentax's very close in performance. You've surely spoiled yourself with that starter setup lol :(

Thanks for your reasuring remarks (i keep trying to justify what i spent last night, lol) I would love an ethos but i looked long and hard at them but in the end i bottled it. I am now confused on my next step regarding using a barlow or buy another EP.

I've recently bought the 24 mm Pan too. It's really lovely. I have the 27 mm and 19 mm also, both of which are top notch. You've made a good choice. I was tempted by the 13 mm Nagler too, but in the end bought the Explore Scientific clone, which is 14 mm and pretty damn good for the money. I do have the 7 mm Nagler, though, and that gets used a lot.

I love hearing how good the 24mm Pan is, but can you tell me why you bought another TV EP (your 27mm) with a focal length so close to your 24mm. As in my 8" dob using the 24mm gives me 50x, the 13mm = 92x which i am sure are good DSO work, but if i added a 27mm that would give me 44x, only 6x less than my 24mm?

Finally guys if it were you and you had my scope would you barlow the 13mm nagler with its 82 degree FOV for plantetary work as this would give me 185x rather than buying a 6mm radian? As from what i get to read, high power work is very restricted to the conditions and i do want to see the planets when i can, but it is the moon that i would most like to study when it comes to planetary work.

As the EP's i have bought are 1.25" i was considering the televue 2x 1.25" barlow, i did look at the powermate but this would bump me up to 230x using the 13mm nagler, which is a bit high as i am an amature using a dobsonian and from warthogs great post 200x is a more usable maximum on a dob.

It does not have to be a televue barlow, i just assumed that because i am using TV EP's that using anything of a lesser quality would make my original purchase a waste of money.

Any advice would be a great help, i know that johmansen has used a Antares 1.6x barlow with his TV EP's, so would love to hear all your thoughts on this, but i think a 2x barlow would suit me better, especially with my 13mm nagler as it would give me 185x.

You're right, the 24 mm and 27 mm give very similar powers. I almost didn't buy the 24 mm for that reason. However, for some galaxies in Virgo I was finding the jump from 27 to 19 mm to be a little large. There's a 20% off TV sale in the US right now and people say good things about the 24 mm, so I thought what the heck.

You asked about barlowing the 13 mm versus buying a Radian. I've never barlowed anything as it happens, but I can tell you the following. I've had lovely views of Saturn with my 7 mm Nagler. Jupiter too, can be good. There is no big reason why the Naglers can't be good planetary eyepieces. Only thing I find, however, is that I see reflections of bright objects from my eye bouncing off the Nagler. That doesn't happen with my other eyepieces. The Radians are pleasant in that they have very long eye relief and flat fields of view. A lot of people swear by them. I have the 10, 6, and 5 mm and do most of my planetary observing with those. The 6 and 5 mm have a built in barlow and that makes them heavier than the 10 mm. I don't remember if the 8 mm also has the barlow.

Here in the US the Radians are disappearing from the shops. TV hasn't said anything and there's speculation that they are being phased out. Some are suggesting that they may be replaced by a new EP line. Perhaps this will be announced in mid April at the NEAF convention. Others believe that Radians were just too expensive and too much of a niche product line so they're simply going to be retired without a replacement. We'll see.

Hi Gaz, you have got yourself a couple of superb ep's, have to agree about using a barlow, I also prefer to leave out that option and just use the ep that fits for my observing on any given object.

Have got my eye on one more TV ep to fill the gap between the Radian 18mm and 35mm Panoptic and the 24mm Panoptic is certainly one for concideration only other option I can see is the 22mm Nagler but there is a £100 difference between them, choices choices :(

You're right, the 24 mm and 27 mm give very similar powers. I almost didn't buy the 24 mm for that reason. However, for some galaxies in Virgo I was finding the jump from 27 to 19 mm to be a little large. There's a 20% off TV sale in the US right now and people say good things about the 24 mm, so I thought what the heck.

As you live in the US you will probably be buying your TV EP's at a good price compared to us here in England and with the 20% off applying to you as well, i would buy them all :).

Also interesting about the Radians disappering from the US shops, couple this with the 20% off and it is possible the radians are going foir good, others have said this also.

Hi Gaz, you have got yourself a couple of superb ep's, have to agree about using a barlow, I also prefer to leave out that option and just use the ep that fits for my observing on any given object.

Have got my eye on one more TV ep to fill the gap between the Radian 18mm and 35mm Panoptic and the 24mm Panoptic is certainly one for concideration only other option I can see is the 22mm Nagler but there is a £100 difference between them, choices choices :(

To true about the choices....I believe that the Panoptic 24 & 27mm are rated amongst the best you can buy for quality low - mid power viewing, the 24mm is 1.25" and the 27mm is 2" also the 24mm is half the weight of the 27mm, so if balance is critical there is something else to consider, but the 27mm is better suited to fast scopes f4 - f4.5.

Either will be a great addition to your collection so just buy it :D.

To true about the choices....I believe that the Panoptic 24 & 27mm are rated amongst the best you can buy for quality low - mid power viewing, the 24mm is 1.25" and the 27mm is 2" also the 24mm is half the weight of the 27mm, so if balance is critical there is something else to consider, but the 27mm is better suited to fast scopes f4 - f4.5.

Either will be a great addition to your collection so just buy it :)

thanks mate, ye the Pans are are great deal at the moment with the discount on TV ep's at the moment, would really like the 22 Nagler though! have a few weeks yet before I wil be forced to commit to one or the other :(

not a bad headache to have though :D

good luck with your choice :)

Gaz, you have bought two stonking eyepieces. I had a 24mm Panoptic and loved it but sold it to fund a 22mm Panoptic as I wanted to reduce the numbers of changes in the dark (i.e. the 22mm can be used as a 2" eyepiece). plus it came up at the tight price and they are not made anymore so getting slightly scarcer.

Never used a 13mm Nagler but a lot of people do and rave about them.

@ Umadog. I am very interested in your purchase of the 24mm Pan despite owning the 27mm.

I have concluded that my ideal set up for wide field is either :

31mm Nagler (Dark site widest field)

26mm Nagler (Home site widest field - bad LP)

22mm Nagler (Mid range wide field)

13mm Ethos (higher power wide field)

OR

35mm Panoptic (Dark site widest field)

27mm Panoptic (Home site widest field - bad LP)

22mm Panoptic (Mid range wide field)

13mm Ethos (higher power wide field)

As I already have three of the last set of four I think it's financially prudent to buy the 27mm Panoptic especially as I do like the 68 degree field - it's just so comfy.

Your comments encourage me and although I'd usually try and find a used one, at £212 new, the 27mm is seriously tempting in the TV sale.

Moonshane, all I can say is that I've had one night with the 24 mm (although it was a 60 object night) and the 24 mm didn't feel redundant compared to the 27 mm in my XX12.

There are two other reasons why I bought it. Firstly, I have an ultra-portable Dob and I wanted a lighter eyepiece to go with it. Secondly, I might decide to bino-view in the future and two 24 mm Panoptics are a favoured choice. I decided to try out the eyepiece with a view to possibly buying a second in a year or two.

Personally i think you have made the right purchase 2 good eyepieces. I made the mistake of buying cheap eyepieces when i first got into the hobby 25 years ago and did`nt think i would stick it out until i got my first televue then that was it and i am still interested now. My collection is 7 12 17 20mm Naglers and i have a classic 32mm televue wide field which gives stunning low power views. So welldone and i do agree you only live once but if the missus finds out thats another story.

It is nice to have your backing that i have made a good choice in EP's so far, i am wondering if i need a lower power EP than my 24mm Panoptic, maybe 32mm, 35mm or 38mm?

I know i need some shorter EP's possibly a 9mm and a 6mm.

Any thoughts on the higher powered EP's don't have to be televue but wFOV is a must as i am using an f5.91 dob.

So far i will get 50x with the 24mm panoptic

(wondering if to add a 16mm nagler, giving 75x would be any good)

92x with the 13mm nagler

and if i add a TV 2x barlow to the above i would then have 50x, 75x, 92x, 100x, 150x & 184x)

Being new to all this i am unsure what powers will be most usefull and for looking at what, i know for planetary high powers are advised, but once i have seen a few planets i think that will be it, more interested in DSO's (especially nebula's) and lunar viewing etc.

@ Moonshane - Thanks for your support. I like your collection of EP's especially your 13mm ethos :(

@ umadog - Here in the UK we think everything is a bargain in the US, failed to realise your pay is proportionate to the cost of goods.

@ Nexus 6 - forced to commit to one that is rich, poor you lol :)

Being new to all this i am unsure what powers will be most usefull and for looking at what.

I find 4 mags are enough to get good view of everything in a 8" scope, specially with ultra widefield EPs such as the Naglers.

Before I used 31mm Nagler (19mm barlowed) and 10mm Ethos (6mm barlowed) with a 1.6x barlow and I was satisfied. Now I also got a 21mm Ethos as I plan to get a 14" scope later on and I wanted a wide field EP with a smaller exit pupil for contrast. The 31mm and 21mm are very similar and I'm only hanging on to the 31mm till I have the new scope and make up my mind about it.

Then I have a set of orthoscopic EPs which are not as comfortable to use but provide great contrasty views on planets.

If, like me, you decide to get a barlow to reduce the cost, the barlow you choose will affect your EP selection. With the Antares 1.6x 2" barlow (cheapest and lightest of the best) you'll want your EPs in 2x to 3x increments. The barlow takes care of the in betweens. With a 2x barlow, you'll want your EPs in 1.5x or straight 3x increments. Otherwise you'll get very similar results and some overlap.

I'm impressed. You've gone straight for quality eyepieces. Like many people I bought some cheap ones to begin with, was disappointed with the performance and gradually migrated to more expensive ones.

I've not yet taken the step to TV in the longer focal lengths but I do have the Meade 5000 24mm SWA (a bargain at today's prices - I think it's end of line - but frankly the design of the eye cup needs sorting out) and the 14mm UWA and use them all the time. I like the 24mm because it's got the widest true field possible in a 1.25" barrel and I find 68 degrees apparent field is plenty for the view not to feel restricted. Initially I thought I might have made a mistake with the 14mm because I got blackouts and kidney beaning, but now I can't understand how I ever had a problem. Putting my eye in the right place is just second nature. I also have the 8.8mm which is superb on globulars (with my scope) and for planetary perfection I've got some radians. I wouldn't like to add up how much I've spent on eyepieces. I'd have laughed at the idea of spending 100s on an eyepiece when I was starting out. Now I look at the price of a radian and think bargain!

In time you should probably get a 2" eyepiece. I've got the Meade 5000 34mm SWA and while it's not exactly erognomic, optically it's very good and I use it a lot. I'd probably think in terms of exit pupil when deciding on your longest focal length eyepiece. How old are you (i.e. how wide do you think your pupil opens)? How light polluted a site do you observe from? Are you ever likely to buy an f5 or even f4.5 telescope? Are you bothered if a bit of light misses your eye anyway? Some of these 2" eyepieces are just enormous by the way and can weight in at around a kilogram!

PS-> Before you break the bank (on too many of these) check out how much use they get. This year I only managed 3 sessions out of 7 good nights I can recall (had arrangements on the other nights).

This are wonderful EPs and wort it over time, but at this rate it's going to take me a few years 'till I can say I got enough hours of pleasure out of them to justify the investment. :( There's a good chance I'll make do with the 2 Ethos + barlow and end up selling the 31T5 to put the money towards a L series lens. At least those see a lot more action. :)

Congratulations on your purchase.

TV products are among the very best.

I have a 2x TV powermate in my eyepiece case the reasons being.

You may chop and change your eyepieces but a quality Barlow will be there for life.:o

Regards Steve

Congratulations on your purchase.

TV products are among the very best.

I have a 2x TV powermate in my eyepiece case the reasons being.

You may chop and change your eyepieces but a quality Barlow will be there for life.:o

Regards Steve

Hi Steve, how do you rate the TV powermate? Have you tried the TV 1.25" 2x barlow or the Antares 1.6x barlow? As i keep hearing good things about the antares 1.6x from TVEP users.

Gaz

I got the acclaimed Antares 1.6x barlow for my 13Ethos. It was imported from US vendor - not available in UK at the time. During the long wait (customs etc) I though what the hell and just ordered the 8Ethos from a local dealer. The Antares ended up being used *once* confirming the fact that paracorr + ethos + barlow is just too crazy. It is mint condition and I should sell at some point. Love the big lenses.

24pan is the best EP for binoviewing. I have used several sets of televue and denk EPs for my MkV and DenkII binos. 24pan is top dog. As well as optical quality it is "comfortable" to use, a less well defined characteristic.

If one was building an EP collection around 24pan and 13Nagler..... Well 24mm is giving you an exit pupil that is getting on the big side on an f/5.9 dob = washed out sky. It is fine but dont go too much longer. To get bigger TFOV (if you really need this) increase your AFOV eg 26Nagler, 21Ethos, 22Nagler (27pan at a push). They are all good. My preference is 26Nagler. Planatary: think about an 8mm EP as the next (possibly final) step up in mag. On my 10" dob I get no real benefit from increasing the mag beyond this - "seeing" in the UK !!!!!

I find 4 mags are enough to get good view of everything in a 8" scope, specially with ultra widefield EPs such as the Naglers.

Then I have a set of orthoscopic EPs which are not as comfortable to use but provide great contrasty views on planets.

If, like me, you decide to get a barlow to reduce the cost, the barlow you choose will affect your EP selection. With the Antares 1.6x 2" barlow (cheapest and lightest of the best)

4 mags = 4 eyepieces? i considered orthascopics for my under 10mm viewing, but what is stopping me buying one is the eye relief and the FOV are restricted, now i don't wear glasses for viewing (only for reading) and because i will be using a 8" dob i understand that if the FOV is short i will be constantly moving the dob so the object stays in the EP.

I would like to understand why you use a barlow that you state is the "cheapest of the best" with your Televue EP's why not use the best barlow or is there little difference?

I'm impressed. You've gone straight for quality eyepieces. Like many people I bought some cheap ones to begin with, was disappointed with the performance and gradually migrated to more expensive ones.

For planetary I've got some radians.

In time you should probably get a 2" eyepiece. I'd probably think in terms of exit pupil when deciding on your longest focal length eyepiece. How old are you (i.e. how wide do you think your pupil opens)? How light polluted a site do you observe from? Are you ever likely to buy an f5 or even f4.5 telescope? Are you bothered if a bit of light misses your eye anyway?

Hi James, I was thinking about getting some average price EP's to start with, but from experiece in past hobbies i have bought mediocre gear only to find weeks or months later i have then upgraded and it does work out costly.

I was thinking on buying a 6mm Radian, but as planetary EP's are the least used, i might wait and see how i get on with the 13mm nagler. In fact i might buy a 9mm nagler (giving me 133x) as i am sure this will get more use than the 6mm radian.

When i placed my order for my scope i also purchased a 2" Skywatcher PanaView 38mm as my 8" dob is f6 and going for a 6mm exit pupil (6x6=36mm) so i am hoping this will be a good EP.

BTW i am 43, live in a small village in the countryside, but have 1 streetlight right outside my garden. My scope is a skywatcher skyliner 200P F6 fl1200mm.

PS-> Before you break the bank (on too many of these) check out how much use they get. This year I only managed 3 sessions out of 7 good nights I can recall (had arrangements on the other nights).

That is a good point on how much the EP's will get used, i think the 38mm PanaView, 24mm panoptic and 13mm nagler will get the most use, but on the other hand at least when the viewing is good at least we will have good EP's to view with.

Cheers guys.

Hi Gaz

I haven't had the Powermate for that long but I am very impressed with it.

As for 1.25" Barlows I currently only have 2" eyepieces so was never in the market for one.

IMO TV don't make duds and you'll only ever buy one 2x Barlow. Personally I would go for a TV one.

Regards Steve

I got the acclaimed Antares 1.6x barlow for my 13Ethos. During the long wait (customs etc) I though what the hell and just ordered the 8Ethos from a local dealer. The Antares ended up being used *once* confirming the fact that paracorr + ethos + barlow is just too crazy. It is mint condition and I should sell at some point. Love the big lenses.

24pan is the best EP for binoviewing. 24pan is top dog. As well as optical quality it is "comfortable" to use, a less well defined characteristic.

If one was building an EP collection around 24pan and 13Nagler..... Well 24mm is giving you an exit pupil that is getting on the big side on an f/5.9 dob = washed out sky. It is fine but dont go too much longer. To get bigger TFOV (if you really need this) increase your AFOV eg 26Nagler, 21Ethos, 22Nagler (27pan at a push). They are all good. My preference is 26Nagler. Planatary: think about an 8mm EP as the next (possibly final) step up in mag. On my 10" dob I get no real benefit from increasing the mag beyond this - "seeing" in the UK !!!!!

That was also a point i was thinking of, should i barlow or just use EP's instead? Just using dedicated Ep's just comes down to cost.

Also i was thinking of using my 24mm pan (4mm exit pupil) as my lowest power EP and cancelling the 2" 38mm SW PanaView (6.4mm exit pupil) then i could use the £90 i am paying for the PanaView to go towards a 9mm nagler?

What mag do you get from your 10" dob with the 8mm ethos, as for planetary viewing i here of people using 200x plus, but if i used an 8mm with my 8" f5.9 dob i would only get 150x or 133x with a 9mm nagler?

What is one to do? :o

Hi Gaz

I haven't had the Powermate for that long but I am very impressed with it.

As for 1.25" Barlows I currently only have 2" eyepieces so was never in the market for one.

IMO TV don't make duds and you'll only ever buy one 2x Barlow. Personally I would go for a TV one.

Regards Steve

Cheers mate, i think if i do decide on a barlow then it makes sense to use the TV 2x over any others.

Or do i just buy dedicated EP's :o i just need to decide should i cancel my 2" 38mm SW PanaView and put that money towards a 8 or 9mm nagler, radian or if i could get enough money an ethos :( i am still trying to decide on a upper power limit for my viewing conditions here in the UK and wondering what high power EP would get used the most out of a 6, 7, 8 or 9mm (200x, 171x, 150x or 133x) it is a toss up between an 8 or 9mm i think.

4 mags = 4 eyepieces? i considered orthascopics for my under 10mm viewing, but what is stopping me buying one is the eye relief and the FOV are restricted, now i don't wear glasses for viewing (only for reading) and because i will be using a 8" dob i understand that if the FOV is short i will be constantly moving the dob so the object stays in the EP.

I would like to understand why you use a barlow that you state is the "cheapest of the best" with your Televue EP's why not use the best barlow or is there little difference?

4 mags = 4 EPs or 2 EPs plus a barlow. Well chosen this will cover about 90%+ of the magnifications you'll need.

About the barlow, I actually have 2 barlows. The antares and a TeleVue BigBarlow with a TeleVue Panoptic interface (makes it work as a powermate). The big barlow is heavier then the Antares and causes some balancing problems so I rarely use it. It also makes my 21 Ethos overlap with the 10 Ethos.

Archived