Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heated cupboard anyone?

Macavity

As I move into my small observatory, I've been contemplating the question of storage for my more COLD sensitive stuff. On the interweb, I see "some bloke", with a shed-workshop, keeps his high precision tools in a heated cupboard. He uses low-wattage, old-fashioned RED(!) bulbs. Since I'm ordering a "half-height" steel office cabinet (Similar Volume ~0.5 metre cubed!) as general storage, I began to wonder...

He claims temps of 25 Deg © in a wooden, under-bench store - Using 60W(!) bulbs, throughout the UK winter. But maybe it would be possible to remove the worst chills with a LAGGED cupboard and lower wattage (battery powered) bulbs... :)

Scope (no pun intended) for experiment - Has anyone ever tried this? :p

Get one of those 12V Doggie Blanket heaters (Maplin) they are about 600 x 600 and give of enough heat to keep everything warm and dew free.

Get two...one for the storage and one to drape over the scope...

Get one of those 12V Doggie Blanket heaters (Maplin) they are about 600 x 600 and give of enough heat to keep everything warm and dew free. Get two...one for the storage and one to drape over the scope...
Hey - Great idea. After all, I've been heating up FELINES, at significant expense, for a number of years now! LOL. Might be more versatile and safer too... :)

Please excuse a newbie for a stupid question... I've only been reading this forum for a few weeks, and it's only in that time that I've realised you need to let a scope cool down to ambient outside temperature to get good results. So now you're discussing ways to keep your scope warm...?

I thought an unheated shed which defaults to ambient temp would have been a good place to store a scope. (With due regard for security.) So why warm it up? Or is the problem damp rather than just cold?

Mary

Please excuse a newbie for a stupid question... [politely snipped] ... I thought an unheated shed which defaults to ambient temp would have been a good place to store a scope.
I suppose I was thinking more about STORING the sundry stuff one gathers, apart from the scopes? Electronica... battery chargers, Ancient LCD screen... things that might rust? :p

I suspect there's an element of neurosis here (LOL), but a source of low HEAT - in a store cupboard, might seem to be "a good thing". I see the cat (feline) heaters are about 12W (12V / 1 Amp) which seems not totally incompatible, with the general idea of "leisure" battery power - On very cold nights. If the idea FLOPS, I will anyway donate the heat pad to the cat! :)

I suspect, if the weather gets TOO BAD, most of the stuff will continue to clutter up my lounge.

The "expensive" stuff will doubtless remain there anyway! <sigh> :(

I suppose I was thinking more about STORING the sundry stuff one gathers, apart from the scopes?

That's what I thought you meant with the first post, but then Merlin and Sailor talked about heat blankets for the OTA, which confused me.

In any case I don't have a scope (or a shed) but I do have 2 cats... so I might find myself buying these heat pads after all :)

Mary

The Doggie blanket just gives enough heat to stop the electronics etc getting damp/wet during the wet season(s)

I remove it when I open up and use it under my eyepiece case and laptop (to keep the dew of them) when observing...think of it as a dew strap more than an electrical heating element...

Good point. Though surprisingly little (fauna) lives up here at 600' - And, with the frequent howling WIND, I sometimes think it was a personal mistake too... :p

I love a GREAT solution... in search of (many?) an application though! :)

Archived