Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking paper

Hi . Where can i get hold of some of this stuff. Been meaning to do a couple of my scopes. Flat black paint is good, but, I'm sure this flocking stuff should be better. I've heard and read about that protostar sticky stuff which sounds good, but does anyone stock it over here? What stuff do you use and, more importantly, where do you get it.

Cheers, Andy.

:occasion5:

Andy. I bought my felt from Homebase. It's about £6 a roll and you may need two or three rolls depending on the size of your scope. It's kept near the rolls of sticky backed vinyls and I think it's called Arkon. Steve, yes I suppose it can attract dust, being felt, but I don't think it would affect performance in any way. I certainly haven't noticed any black felt specks on the mirror since I flocked mine yet, but then again Its not been on all that long.

Yes the back is sticky already. You just measure and peel off the backing as you flock. Instead of doing it in one full piece, I did mine in 5" wide strips going down the tube. It was easier to flock this way and I also read it helps stop the flocking peeling away from the inside of the tube due to thermal expansion/contraction. Don't worry if you overlap slightly onto another piece of felt as it also sticks on the velvety surface really well too. If you get it wrong, gently peel off and try again with the same piece, it will still be sticky. I tell you... Staring down the tube as you flock, you'll see a difference in reflectivity compared to the black matt paint that the manufacturers put on ( and you probably thought that was pretty good at the time too!) 8)

It's a piece of cake mate and you do get a great satisfaction when you've done it. Don't be afraid to take your Dob to bits. It's pretty robust if you're careful. You'll need to collimate again of course, when reassembled. :D

... yes I suppose it can attract dust, being felt, but I don't think it would affect performance in any way. I certainly haven't noticed any black felt specks on the mirror since I flocked mine yet, but then again Its not been on all that long.

I was thinking more of the felt material attracting light-coloured dust to itself that would be difficult to remove. It was just a thought, I haven't ever flocked a scope. I guess it isn't a problem.

Archived