SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

15x70 bins + Horizon 8115 2-Way Tripod = "WOW!!!"

John P

At last! A clear night (for all of 30 minutes) and a chance to try out my new toy, the tripod I just bought from FLO.

The only minor gripe I have got is that one leg of the tripod seems to be slightly faulty, as it will only tighten up if you put it about an inch shorter than the other two. I did think about returning it, but after trying it out tonight I don't think I'll bother, as it was still rock steady, even when the centre column was fully extended.

First target of the night was the Orion Nebula. That was the first "WOW" of the night, Lovely nebulosity and a rock steady view for the first time with these bins. This is despite having a large streetlight less than 50 feet in front of me to my left! From their, I moved to the Pleiades, beautiful as ever, and then to the Andromeda Galaxy.

Viewing directly overhead was difficult, but I have bought a triton ball head for the tripod from Telescope-Express via Ebay. What I didn't realise though, is that you need an adaptor as the screw on the Triton is 3/8" and the tripod is 1/4". Once I've sorted that out, it may well solve that issue.

All in all, I'm now happy I've got a set up that will deliver hours of pleasurable viewing. The Celestron 15x70 bins should be awesome under dark skies, and the tripod negates all the wobbles :rolleyes:

It was a change to get some clear sky. Good to see you managed to test your new kit. I mounted my 10x50's on very light camera tripod the & views are instantly improved, but I do intend to go down the Horizon/Camlink tripod route later. You would recommend the celestron 15x70's then ??

You would recommend the celestron 15x70's then ??

I do, but a steady tripod is a must. I tried using a camera tripod I'd bought from Jessops a couple of years ago, but it was too shaky and didn't have enough height. Another must is the metal tripod adaptor, as the plastic one that comes with the bins is too flimsy. I got that from FLO as well :rolleyes:

I used once only an old Velbon camera tripod I have with my Helios stellar 15x70's, it was rubbish!

I haven't upgraded yet as bought a s/hand scope but still take the binocs out with me usually propping them against a fence post or trellis :)

Anyway, I don't know whether it was not being able to get a steady view or not being able to get close to the binos due to 3 leg design of tripods - I thought I would get a monopod - but after your comments I may have another look as you just can;t hold em steady.

This is the tripod I am after for my 15x70s. Could anyone elaborate whether I need the adaptor or not as my bins did come with a plastic one and whether they are fairly easy to carry around? It seems from posts that I am definatly not making the most of my bins without a decent tripod.

This is the tripod I am after for my 15x70s. Could anyone elaborate whether I need the adaptor or not as my bins did come with a plastic one and whether they are fairly easy to carry around? It seems from posts that I am definatly not making the most of my bins without a decent tripod.
Using a tripod will make viewing so much better i still need to get a adapter got my tripod

from redsnapper £50 great value for money have a look on their site

clear skies :)

The plastic adaptor is too flimsy, I would recommend you get the metal one sold by FLO - L Type Binocular Tripod Adaptor

The tripod itself weighs just over 3.5kg, and when folded down is about 2-3 feet long (sorry, can't find a ruler to measure it properly).

Thank you John P - was going to give FLO a ring in the week. The dimensions do not seem so bad and was tempted to go for a cheap tripod. However due to costs / light pollution in local area, I am hoping to keep my bin/tripod set up for a while so will go with the horizons (which hopefully should accomodate any bin upgrades in future).

Thank you John P - was going to give FLO a ring in the week. The dimensions do not seem so bad and was tempted to go for a cheap tripod. However due to costs / light pollution in local area, I am hoping to keep my bin/tripod set up for a while so will go with the horizons (which hopefully should accomodate any bin upgrades in future).

Hi, I would certainly recommend as good a tripod as you can afford, same advise was given to me when I asked on here for opinions on what I should use for my 20x90's, I did get as good as I could manage and the bins are very stable on it. :)

Yes, get the Horizon, it is highly rated as is the Redsnapper already mentioned by Kris h but I would think you would have to go a bit better if you went for some really big bins, its just that they do weigh some, the Helios I have are 3.6kgs!

Clear Skies :(

Archived