NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8-24mm Zoom EPs?

I was wondering what opinions members have on these zoom EPs? I am looking at a couple in particular, the Meade 4000 Series and Baader MkIII Hyperion. This would be for my 4" Refractor F5. Eye relief is an issue for me as I wear spex.:eek:

Your thoughts on these and any others that would fit the brief would be most welcome.:rolleyes:

I bought the Baader a couple of weeks ago, the few chances I've had to use it I've been very impressed. It's so much brighter and sharper than the supplied eyepieces and very well made. If you read the reviews of it you'll see some guy compares it to a grenade and he's right, it's big! but beautiful :rolleyes:

I've got the Mk2 and tried the Mk3 for a session. Both very nice zooms being crisp and clear with little or no discrenable internal reflection. Both very smooth in operation with clear clicks at each field stop. The fov narrows a little as you go down from 24mm to 8mm but it doesn't bother me.

I used to have a 150P newt and realised how bad the supplied ep's were when I got the zoom (my first decent quality ep). It made the scope suddenly come to life. It's a weighty 7-element optic and quite large - "grenade" is a suitable description. The Mk3 had a generally better feel to it but nothing tangible that I could detect. Great twist up eye relief, and both will take a T-ring with the appropriate adaptor.

Single ep's at each field stop will perform better but at around £100(ish) s/h the Mk2 takes some beating in vfm, and a much better buy than any main brand case of plossls currently on offer imho. New, the Mk3 is around £170. Great general purpose ep's, either would be thoroughly recommended by me :rolleyes:

I got the Celestron zoom and use it with both my scopes. For the money it's great. As for "specs", even though I have TRI-focals, I never wear them when viewing - too much trouble & both my scopes focus fine :rolleyes:

I've just picked up a Mk3 via Astronomia's clearance site Astronomia - Surrey's Only Dedicated Telescope & Binocular Centre.

Very impressed, solidly built and good optics. I'd been thinking about it for a while, then decided rather than buying a number of "modest" priced EP's I'd get them all in one go. Now I've worked out how all the pieces disassemble and reassemble I can attach my DSLR to it as well, job done.

Cheers

Neil

I used to have a 150P newt and realised how bad the supplied ep's were when I got the zoom (my first decent quality ep). It made the scope suddenly come to life. :eek:

Thanks all for the advice, esp to Brantuk for that detailed response, exactly what I was looking for! :rolleyes:

Popped over to Rother Valley Optics today and parted company with another sizeable wedge of cash for the Hyperion model. As mentioned it is quite a "grenade" can't wait to try it out! :)

Thanks again to all for the advice:icon_salut:

Do let us know what you think of it Max.

My budget would only allow me to go for the Celestron version.

An idea i am STILL toying with.

My birthday is in 4 weeks.

I think i will add the Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP to my wish list.

I'd LOVE the Hyperion mk III...........

But lets face truth..............no family member is is gonna spend THAT much cash on you.

Maybe i will offer to pay half and get the Hyperion Mk III. ?????

Hi Paul et al,

Since purchasing the kit on Monday 28th Feb and today is Friday 4th March...........unremitting cloud here in the East Midlands so zero observing!:p I did however spend a good hour or so playing around with it in daylight using my local church spire and cockerel atop as the target. This is what I can deduce so far. It is a quality EP and the zoom range although quite stiff to operate is a joy to have. I purchased at the same time a Celestron Ultima SV series x2 Barlow for use with the Hyperion zoom as the chap at RVO recommended the Celestron as a better (and more expensive) optic to work with. Chromatic Aberration is very noticeable with the whole church spire being purple fringed. Whilst making direct swap observing comparisons against the 20mm EP and x2 Barlow supplied with my SW ST102 scope I was surprised at how little difference my new Hyperion zoom gave me. Initially I find this rather disappointing as I was certainly expecting my new optic to give me a vastly superior view:icon_scratch:. Until I can get out under some clear dark skies and do some useful observing, I won't know for sure whether my purchase may have been a little premature!:) That said the Hyperion zoom does come with loads of bits in the box for a whole range of fitments and imaging attachments. I am awaiting a back order on a mount ring for my Canon set up, which will hopefully come soon so that I can get my camera gear hooked up to it!

I'll let you know later how I get on!

The real test will be nighttime viewing so hold your judgement until then.

I would not expect a vastly superior view but it should be noticeably better.

An ST102 shows a fair amount of chromatic aberration and this will show more at higher powers whatever eyepieces you use.

The zoom has 7 pieces of glass in it and the Ultima barlow has 3 so thats 10 bits of glass in the light path of a smallish aperture scope.

Grenades lol.... I have a case full of them and not had clear skies in the last week since they arrived !

IMG-20110225-00107-1.jpg

Popped over to Rother Valley Optics today and parted company with another sizeable wedge of cash for the Hyperion model. As mentioned it is quite a "grenade" can't wait to try it out! :)

Thanks again to all for the advice:icon_salut:

Like John said...reserve judgment until you try it out at night. I tried my new Vixen 8mm NPL out during daylight a few days ago and wasnt very happy. I kept getting "blackouts" around the FOV. However i tried it again at night on wednesday and it was fine.

Archived