Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dob or EQ

Tac

I have finally got my scope choice down to 2 contenders after lots of reading and searching on this site. Boy it's a frustration job this selecting telescopes. :o:)

Let me start by telling you a bit about my 'intended' use of whichever scope I do go for. I will be using the scope most of the time at home in a light polluted area with OK viewing (have to switch between front and back garden) in most directions except North. I will on occasion also take the scope to a dark(er) site about a 5-10 minutes drive. I'll be using the scope with my 3 year old daughter. She has her own (my old pair) of 8x30 Russian bins which she calls 'noculars' which she likes to look at Mr Moon with. Cute ;). So GOTO is almost a must to keep her from getting bored while Daddy tries to find things. I'll also hope to get the Missus out with me and the tracking of the GOTO would again come into it's own so she wasn't having to move the scope herself. Finally my budget is gonna be around £1,000.

The two scopes I have narrowed it down to are either the Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX FlexTube GOTO at £970 Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX FlexTube GOTO or the Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS on a HEQ5 PRO Mount £979 Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS OTA.

I was going to consider imaging but I think I'll be happy with Lunar and Planetary to start with through either a point and shoot or webcam. I don't even own a DSLR yet, never mind how to use one.

Your thoughts and suggestions would really be appreciated on which scope you think would best suit my needs. I know only I can make the decision but it is nice to get your opinions.

Thanks. :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Tac.

I'd go for the dob.

An EQ mount can be fiddly if you have to keep moving it and aligning it.

Unless you're sure you want to get into imaging, then for visual use, you don't need one.

Tracking....dobs are dead easy to keep on target by hand.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about goto either...your daughter, at 3 years old, will rapidly get bored anyway....the moon and major planets will give her a quick 'wow', but most other objects appear as grey blobs unless you are patient and let your eyes dark adapt and begin to see faint details.

A 250mm dob is easily portable, and you'll save a lot of money if you don't go down the GOTO route, plus, half the fun is actually learning your way around the sky and finding things, plus, while you look for objects, you'll bumpo into all sorts of other interesting stuff :)

I have a very sophisticated imaging rig, which needs computer control/GOTO, but my visual scopes are all non driven/non GOTO.

Others will look at things differently, but that's my advice.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I had thought about the none GOTO but I luuurve my gadgets.:) Seriously though I would save half the cost by not getting a GOTO but I'm still drawn to them.

Hi Tac

Got to agree with everything Rob said although IMO i wouldn't bother with the Flextube either i would opt for a solid tube. Specially if your gonna move it between gardens.

I can't see any advantage in truss dobs under 12" just extra faffing about.

Also with all the money you would save you could get some kick a**e eyepieces. Which you will appreciate more in the long run.

Regards Steve

Cheers Steve.

I did look at the FlexTube because that was the only one available with GOTO but if I'm not getting that then I could look at solid tube. Storage could also be an issue, another consideration for FlexTube.

Hi Tac,

I've just been through a similar agonising over choice of scopes. Just like you I was trying to decide between an EQ mounted scope and a dob. I eventually decided upon a dob, mainly for ease of use and quick setup.

I love my gadgets too and I really really wanted that Skyliner 250 Flextube with Autotrak. I've got a mak with auto, and I love whizzing (slewing very slowly) around the sky with it. But in the end my head won, and I've just ordered the solid tube version. It wasn't an easy choice but I'm sure (for me at least) it was the right one.

I had thought about the none GOTO but I luuurve my gadgets.:) Seriously though I would save half the cost by not getting a GOTO but I'm still drawn to them.

For astronomy aperture is what we "luuurve" coz that's what makes us go wow ! :o

Unless you have a largish budget the hi-tech mount means smaller aperture which means less wow !.

When you are trying to see structure in M51 or the fainter moons of Saturn it's the aperture that delivers rather than the technology :(

For astronomy aperture is what we "luuurve" coz that's what makes us go wow ! :(

Unless you have a largish budget the hi-tech mount means smaller aperture which means less wow !.

When you are trying to see structure in M51 or the fainter moons of Saturn it's the aperture that delivers rather than the technology ;)

My budget is around the £1,000 mark (sssh don't tell the missus :o). I was looking at the 250mm for the aperture. I don't think I could easily and safely store anything bigger. But at £500 :) just for the tech it really doesn't make sense.

The 250mm dob is quite big and heavy so as you want portability I would suggest the 200mm Dob. If you buy a solid tubed dob you can always put it on an EQ mount (with goto if required) at a later date - best of all worlds.

That is another thing to consider. That has really got me thinking now.

How big and heavy you think a scope is in the 250mm range is really down to how fit you are.

I have a 12 inch Lightbridge, and it is heavy if I move it completely assembled, but I can do it.

I wouldn't consider a 10 inch too big at all, but storage and ease of portability is a factor, so a collapsible truss tube dob is much more user-friendly than a solid tube.

I'm a tad under 5'9, 11.5 stone and 52, so not a big strapping chap in the full bloom of youth :)

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the Dob is winning this one. Still unsure on the GOTO and I think the FlexTube looks nicer in the black diamond finish. If they did the solid tubes in the new finish I'd probably get one without question.

It has to look good from the outside as well as through the eye piece :)

Scopes all look the same colour in the dark :)

One thing to consider with the FlexTube is that you will probably need to invest in (or make) a light shroud for it. This stops stray light from entering the tube through the trusses / struts which can reduce contrast.

Optically I believe they are exactly the same as the solid tube versions.

Scopes all look the same colour in the dark :rolleyes:

One thing to consider with the FlexTube is that you will probably need to invest in (or make) a light shroud for it. This stops stray light from entering the tube through the trusses / struts which can reduce contrast.

Optically I believe they are exactly the same as the solid tube versions.

True, they all will look the same in the dark.

I've also looked at the shrouds. I will definitely need one for my usual observing spot. Far too much light pollution. That adds yet more cost.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the Dob is winning this one. Still unsure on the GOTO and I think the FlexTube looks nicer in the black diamond finish. If they did the solid tubes in the new finish I'd probably get one without question.

It has to look good from the outside as well as through the eye piece :rolleyes:

You could always paint it:)

Have any finish you like that way.

Regards Steve

Tac,

I'm in favour of the Dob too,ordered one early last week and was told the SW 250PX was finally been dispatched yesterday,(should have arrived Monday,but its a long story and a mix up with either the outlet,OVL or Fed Ex).:eek::rolleyes:

The tubed dob still has the potential for tracking (and maybe goto) via a Watch House EQ platform in the future even though this is a more expensive way to achieve it.Raises the scope eyepiece by about 5" too.

250PX tubed dob & EQ platform=£855 delivered.

250PX flex tube auto & purchased shroud(£60)=£720 delivered.

250PX flex tube auto and GoTo & purchased shroud=£1030 delivered.

I'm not bothered with goto but there are threads on SGL regarding adding setting circles to the dob base.

You could still do some imaging on the EQ platform (check the website link) with this set up but probably not in the league with what can be achieved with the 250mm on a EQ6.

equatorial-platforms-uk

Jon

If you can afford GOTO I say get it, I think it makes the whole stargazing experience much better IMHO. Plus it is a very cool gadget! Just my 2p worth since the anti-GOTO mob seem to be very loud on this thread. :rolleyes:

Chris

If you can afford GOTO I say get it, I think it makes the whole stargazing experience much better IMHO. Plus it is a very cool gadget! Just my 2p worth since the anti-GOTO mob seem to be very loud on this thread. :eek:

Chris

Mieow!! Saucer of milk with that.:rolleyes::D

Regards Steve

If you can afford GOTO I say get it, I think it makes the whole stargazing experience much better IMHO. Plus it is a very cool gadget! Just my 2p worth since the anti-GOTO mob seem to be very loud on this thread. :)

Chris

Yeah one vote for GOTO :rolleyes:

Cheers Chris.

Mieow!! Saucer of milk with that.:):D

Regards Steve

Now, now. Lol......... :eek:

I believe that goto or not is down to personal choice, however surely finding things yourself is a fun challenge.

P.S. DOB!

Yeah I am having fun now with the bins finding things, especially through all this cloud. :mad:

Just been thinking............ could I buy an Auto (Syntrek) Dob and buy a seperate GOTO handset and just plug this straight in and have a GOTO Dob.

The Auto is £660, the GOTO is £970 but the Handset is only £177 (brand new) so I could save doing it this way. Could save more going second hand for handset too.

Oooooow........

I'll do a bit of searching and see if I can find out if that is all that's required.

If it is why do Skywatcher charge £300 for this when the handset is only £170. Are there any other differences?

Archived