Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What makes a good site ?

I think there are a number of factors to consider. I look for a good southerly aspect with as little light polution as possible. Ad to that ease of access and also security. I used to use a rural car park when I lived in Surrey but on occasions I would be invaded by late night revellers. Therefore in my view it is good to link up with other observers and find a conveneient site where several can gather and get some safety in numbers. That's just my view and I am sure others will offer other advice.

If you've got a good southerly view without light-domes or obstruction, can see the Milky Way clearly with naked-eye, and don't have any bright lights in the vicinity that would hurt your dark adaptation, then it sounds like you're all set.

I just posted some thoughts on choosing a dark site in another thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/129914-dos-donts-telescopes.html#post1693821

If the field is to your south it will help a lot ... you don't want to be looking over houses, concrete/tarmac areas etc. as they will cause air currents which will blur images at high magnification. You get bad seeing (turbulence) anyway but there's no point in asking for it.

I'm inexperienced when it comes to dark site observing (and in fact generally!) but my criteria would be as follows:

1. darker skies than home
  2. good all round view but esp. south/east
  3. no nearby houses
  4. no 'through route' - being blinded by car lights is annoying and destroys dark adaptation
  5. security
  6. proximity to car
  7. proximity to home

for me the ideal would be to befriend a farmer who has some land you could use (invite him/her along) as this is likely to be secure, undisturbed and dark - but make sure there's no livestock in the field - they are incredibly nosey.

I'm inexperienced when it comes to dark site observing (and in fact generally!) but my criteria would be as follows:

Great list - I would add the following:

1. darker skies than home
  2. good all round view but esp. south/east
  3. *flat horizon to south as a minimum*
  4. no nearby houses
  5. *on land which is either public or if private, unlikely to upset anyone*
  6. no 'through route' - being blinded by car lights is annoying and destroys dark adaptation
  7. *security - especially avoid areas which might attract late night boozers or boy racers*
  8. proximity to car
  9. proximity to home
  10. *hard standing - nothing worse than a field after a wet spell*

At my site I park on grass and there are sometimes sheep around. The site is well-drained so never muddy, and sheep are never a problem - they move away when I arrive and stay away. They're more interested in getting some sleep than eating my sandwiches.

might just be cattle that are nosey

Nosey is hardly the word, they'll slobber on everything, trample it into the mud then sh*t on the remains. Best avoided if at all possible. Sheep are timid and horses are just frightening .... pigs I don't know about but they're by far the smartest farm animals so they'd probably want a peek through your scope.

Archived