Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Canon EOS software

Hi All,

Not sure I've put this in the right place but, here goes.

I am capturing using the Canon software, however it keeps coming up "Specify a briefer exposure time than the shooting interval". Which means for every 6 minute exposure I have to wait 6mins+ to take the next one.

I know this means its taking its own darks and I have tried turning off the Long exposure noise reduction feature but it makes no difference.

Can I get round this problem, as I am wasting half the time out there to waiting between exposure times !!!

Thanks

Trudie

My understanding is that it takes this time to write to disk.

You can purchase a remote controller for about £18 which allows you to set your exposure time , the interval time...(exposure +write to disk) and number of exposures you want.

You then just press the start button and it does it all for you. You can get the binos out or have a coffee....

You can set it to take shots without the extra wait, say 10 seconds between shots.

Set to M

CLick the stopwatch

example settings:

Delay 00:15

Interval timer shooting (tick)

shooting time 01:15

shots 10

Bulb

Exposure time 01:00

That will take 10 60s shots

Specify a briefer exposure time than the shooting interval". Which means for every 6 minute exposure I have to wait 6mins+ to take the next one.
I also hit this until I realised that the 'shooting interval' is time is the period between each shutter 'opening'. Therefore it must be longer than the exposure otherwise you'll be opening the shutter again before its closed!

I believe RobB is correct, however as you mentioned if noise reduction is enabled you will have to wait double the exposure time due to the dark frame subtraction. I haven't tried this via the EOS software but it can be controlled via the camera itself (I have EOS 500D).

I also hit this until I realised that the 'shooting interval' is time is the period between each shutter 'opening'. Therefore it must be longer than the exposure otherwise you'll be opening the shutter again before its closed!

Ahh! I had wondered about that. I'd assumed it meant the interval between shots, i.e. between shutter closing and shutter re-opening, rather than interval between shutter opening.

The interval needs to be greater than the exposure time to allow time for the image to be stored on SD (and PC if you've selected that option).

If E is the exposure time and W is the time it takes to store the image, then the interval I would be E + W

• 3 years later...

Might be better off getting backyard eos for controlling the camera I use it all the time and it makes life so much easier for focusing framing and setting the image sequence. If you get the premium edition which is not that much you can use it with astrotortilla as well there is also APT as well both very good but got to be a better option then using eos utilitys I would have thought.

Try taking just one long exposure.

At the end of the exposure you will see a progress bar indicating the image is being downloaded.

If you time that and add a bit you have the time to add to the exposure to give the interval timing.

JPG's download in a few seconds, RAW's take longer.

I've always found EOS Utility adequate for the job.

Michael

Archived