Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making a side by side dual mounting bar?

drummerp

Has anyone made or does anyone have any suggestions for making a side by side dual mounting bar system like this one below? I'm thinking of making one and am about to purchase some Aluminium Flat Bar, bits and bob etc so I can engineer something but would really like any hints or tips befor I start chopping and drilling.

Cheers

Neil

post-16160-133877528289_thumb.png

Well, remember the dovetail slot is flat on one side and undercut chamferred on the other. Quite a difficult machining process. May be better to make a flat plate and bolt two bars to it to make the dovetail, one with a chamfer on it. However, difficut to make it parallel. Remember, this piece of kit has to hold all your valuable and heavy equipment. Don't skimp, use thick guage metal and large bolts. Consider the commercial alternatives also.

Hi Neil, yes i have made 3 dual mounts. Quite simple really, if you have a pillar drill it makes the whole job more accurate. 1st establish the length of dovetail you need, next buy a lump of ali bar and attach the dovetail bar centraly with at least three bolts. Thats the easy bit, the worst part is deciding on the two clamps at each end. My 1st duel bar, I fabricated a couple of clamps then I treated myself to a couple of clamps from Altair Astro.

post-13880-133877528302_thumb.jpg

I can't remember what the angle of a dovetail is offhand but I know it's not a milling cutter size that you can buy, or at least I couldn't find one. Even the one I bought from Astroparts was milled with a different angle cutter. Bobs suggestion is as good as any I could make.

I would (and shortly will be making) make the dovetail bits out of three pieces, a flat base and two square strips with one side machined to the appropriate angle. All three to be rivited together.

You could cut the angles by milling or, probably as quick if using Aluminium, file them by hand (the only way if you don't have access to machine tools!).

• 3 months later...

i made a side by side plate a couple of years ago i milled out the slot out of one piece of ally for the end bits and i used a 5inch grinder to roughey grind the chanfer on and finnish it off with good file when i finnish it was spot on and then cut it in half and then drilled and tapped the holes for the retaining knobs and the plate to hold the two ends i did the same all in all about 4 hours work

Archived