Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some pics from Astrofest yesterday....

Astro_Baby

As not everyone can mak Astrofest I thought I;d bag some pics off so people could see some of the more interesting stuff that was on show...

Hope you like the pics and the idea....

Firts up heres the semi-mythical EQ8 on the OVL stand. I thought the stand was a bit lucklustre myself. The EQ8 was interesting though as was the large APO refractor of about 150. No prices yet though or at least none thot OVL would discuss.

post-14805-133877527823_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hows this for elegance - a beautiful EQ mount on the Astrotrac stand. Its a proptype geared very mucj for imagers with a built in guidescope....

Cost is estimated to be about 3x the cost of an EQ6 :) Thats as much as I could drag out of the guys there. I met up with MG1 on the stannd, who like me, is something of an EQ6 guru and we did try and persuade Astrotrac that letting us have the mount to take away might be good for business so we could do a rebuild guide but they said 'no' :)

Its a beautiful looking thing though for sure....

post-14805-133877527831_thumb.jpg

F15 would love this some gorgeous Lyra scopes from Peak 2 Valley.

Now this refractor stole my heart - its HUGE and looks just like a classic refreactor from the golden age. I didn't get specs but it must have been approaching 9' long.

Peak 2 Valley had a few scopes like this at the show and they were so gorgeous I started considering armed robbery to fund one :)

post-14805-133877527835_thumb.jpg

And from the vast to the tiny - these are dinky sized reflectors from Orion US. Very beautiful actually and perfect for the beginner on a shoestring. Might be excellent for older children and anyone really who wants a look without too much cash up front.

Very portable and seemed very well made.

post-14805-133877527841_thumb.jpg

And now back to the immense for all you solar fans out there - heres the new Lunt 150 - yes thats right a solarscope with a 150mm aperture. The guy on the Lunt stand was also very charming I thought :)

The cost for this one is going to hit about £8,500 but I can tell you this was beautifully made, total quality throughout.

They also have a 200mm version upcoming :)

post-14805-133877527845_thumb.jpg

Staying on the large side - heres the centrepiece of Orion Optics stand a massive ODK scope on a Paramount (I think) a mere junket at £14k :) Lovely looker though.

The pic doesnt really do this one justice - it was H U G E !!!!

post-14805-133877527849_thumb.jpg

And finally SKylight with their retro steam punk telescopes and come old originals.

The New Skylight F13 was quite tempting but its just too big for me. These things are huge and pictures just dont really do them justice either for their size or the beauty of them. They are very lovely looking scopes with (reputedly) optics to match.

post-14805-133877527857_thumb.jpg

Archived