Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography question

Before I choose my 'scope, I have questions....

Q. 1 of lots...

As my primary interest is DSO/Astrophotography and will probably want some long exposure times (please correct me if this is an invalid assumption...) what sort of mount would be a good choice?

I've been looking at the SkyWatcher 'scopes with a dob mount with the tracking option (I don't want/need goto) but is this good enough? or do I need to look at an equatorial mount for this?

I would suggest investing in a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (available from FLO). This book leads you through all the things you need to know about starting out in Astrophotography.

Simply: You need at least an HEQ5 or EQ6 size of mount to take on serious astrophotography with a telescope. You may get away with less for "camera and lens" only. Definately not a Dob mount! You need a driven (and eventually guided, if you are serious) equatorial mount. The good news is you don't need goto, so the syntrek versions of these mounts will be OK.

I would agree with Bizibilder to get hold of a copy of Steve's book. It is a genuinely interesting read and very well laid out. There is a steep learning curve regarding the capture of 'data' and as much again in the processing side. By reading this book, it will 'set the scene' so you know up front what you're getting yourself into and thus avoid making poor kit choices for what you want to achieve.

The Skywatcher mounts are very good, reliable and not hugely expensive when compared with other systems out there. The key consideration that you might have missed in your question is that of the weight of kit and its impact on accurate tracking.

James

The book has to be the first port of call IMHO... Then you want to look at building from the ground up... You can have the best scope in the world, but without a decent mount...

Realistically, your minimum is the HEQ5, and you're looking to load up to about 50% of the weight limit of the mount, ideally. I'm not sure of the weight limit of the HEQ5, but it's pretty sturdy. The EQ6 is far heavier, and therefore has a much higher load limit, but it's much heavier :)... just something to consider, especially if you have to move it around.

A couple of points to consider, the longer the focal length of the scope, the more accurate the mount and tracking need to be. The heavier the setup on the mount, the more strain is put on the tracking. Something like an ED80 is a great scope for all sorts of things, and can produce superb results.

The dob mounts, even driven can't track the sky properly for long exposures, as they are AltAz mountings, and you really need EQ (there is one exception but it's not very likely... :))...

What camera do you have/intend to use for Astrophotography ?

As my primary interest is DSO/Astrophotography and will probably want some long exposure times (please correct me if this is an invalid assumption...) what sort of mount would be a good choice?

To reinforce what has been said:

A good, solid, motor driven equitorial.

You don't have a choice to type, just which equitorial.

Start at HEQ5 as a minimum and work up in size, the bigger then better.

Hi Roger,

I asked all the same questions when I joined and have just bought and waiting for arrival:

Skywatcher 80Ed pro with EQ6 and GOTO (Don't need the GOTO but took the decision to go for it)

Reckoned by all to the best for a newbie in AS

Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA as a spotter scope

Meade DSI Pro II for tracking and to go on the spotter scope (not necessary to go for this you can go for the cheaper DSI)

Skywatcher focal reducer and adaptor for my Nikon camera

GPUSB to connect it all together

PHD software which is foc to make it all work.

Check my question and you will see the answers that led me to this list.

Best regards

Chris

A good start then would be the Canon 1000d as a camera.

You'll be good for 2 to 3 minute exposures to start with with the 80ED, HEQ5 and the SLR. For the HEQ5, The Syntrek version, has the same motors and electronics as the Synscan (goto) version, just not the handset. I use a laptop for goto, I'm using a laptop for guiding anyway, so it's easy to add goto into the mix.

You can add the guiding setup, if you want, but it's probably worth while holding off, as that adds an extra layer of complexity (although, it works well, when it works...).

As a guiding setup the ST80 is a nice little lightweight scope that does the job well. As for a guide camera, the QHY5 series cameras, whilst CMOS, are pretty good at the job, and a lot less money than other cameras available.

I've got a QHY5v as I wanted a camera to perform double duty as a lunar/planetary camera, and it does excellent work in both guiding and lunar/planetary duty. I've not imaged a heap load of targets, but so far, I've never had an issue finding a guide star.

I hope that helps, there's a lot of possibilities in all this, they are all equally valid, the DSI and the QHY5 cameras for instance...

Looks like I'm going to have to sell my metal detectors to help finance this due to needing a much better mount, but on the bonus side is the fact that I don't have to dig :)

So what I'm thinking is:-

EQ6 mount - at least Synscan but I may go for the GOTO version for the extra interfaces.

Skywatcher Explorer 250 PDS OTA

Some decent lenses/Barlows

That should get me some decent observing until I can can buy a decent CCD/Camera.

Thoughts?

Looks like I'm going to have to sell my metal detectors to help finance this due to needing a much better mount, but on the bonus side is the fact that I don't have to dig :)

EQ6 mount - at least Synscan but I may go for the GOTO version for the extra interfaces.

That should get me some decent observing until I can can buy a decent CCD/Camera.

Thoughts?

Great! Lucky you! I'm ;) with envy. I'd also agree with hanging fire on the camera. It'll take a while to get to grips with your new acquisition. I get the impression you'll go for both CCD and DSLR eventually mate! :) CCD webcams like the Philips SPC990 can be really inexpensive and give better results but they obviously involve laptops etc. and you can't use them for family birthday parties!

A DSLR needs live view.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts?

Roger, been reading this thread - did you go for the 250PDS in the end? I'm due to buy one in the next few weeks and was wondering how you'd got on?!

Do tell!

Archived