Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back From Astrofest!

G2EWS

Hi All,

Well after my series of continual questions and meeting up with NickH on Tuesday I have now bought all the kit!

Yesterday I bought:

Meade DSI II Pro

GPUSB

From astrogeorge

From Astrofest today:

Skywatcher 80ED with EQ6 and GOTO

Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA (spotter scope)

Skywatcher focal reducer

Skywatcher DSL$-M48 Ring adaptor for my Nikon D3X.

Should all be here by Tuesday to totally confuse me in how to connect it all up!

Well chuffed and thanks all the SGL members that pointed me in the right direction.

I know I should not have bought now but NickH managed to get me a very good deal so I did not mind buying sooner rather than later.

Roll on next weekend when the weather will be soooo fantastic and I will be up all night pulling my hair out!

Best regards

Chris

I would say from high street prices about 20%!

Most stores were offereing 10% discount at the show.

As a newbie it was definitely worth a visit just to get to see the size of some of the beasts!

Regards

Chris

Hi Yoda,

Many thanks.

Hi Phil,

A bit amazing wasn't it!

Well, I approve of the kit you have bought, this will set you well and truly on the imaging road.

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for all your advice.

I was sooooo tempted by the 120ED but listened to what you and others said and restrained myself.

If I get on with it all I can upgrade if I choose.

Loved the Observatories for the garden they had on show.

But that is a long way off once I get my head around this amazing hobby.

Best regards

Chris

Hi out of interest what is the point about the 120ed? I have 100 Ed and may upgrade if worth it.

Was the advice to learn using smaller scope then upgrade? Or was it that the 120 wouldn't be too much of a noticeable upgrade

Thanks Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The f9 of the 100ed was reckoned to be not as good for imaging. The 120ed was reckoned to be too difficult for a newbie. I think that is a good assessment of what I have been told, but stand to be corrected.

Regards

Chris

Hi John,

I am always checking the weather to see if I can take my classic Mini convertible out as I don't enjoy driving her with the roof up!

Then there is going away in the RV. I check to see if it is worth taking the electric bikes.

Only trouble now is, I look also for early mornings to get sunrises with the photography, so now it will be burning the candle both ends.

Will be back to those days in the 70's at Brawdy. Off to bed at 02:00 then up at 04:00. Running two businesses and being ready for shift!

Not sure if my body can take it now!!

Best regards

Chris

Yep! Those were the days mate! I'm hoping for some clearish skies tomorrow to get a few shots of the new Moon. My mother-in-law has just noticed our scope in the dining room. "What's that?" says she. " A telescope for looking at the stars" says I. "Big innit" she replies. And wanders off, none the wiser!

Hi Nick,

Hope you are not too knackered mate. You were nonstop all day!

Best regards

Chris

The "day" didn't end till midnight both days (Thurs/Fri)..dinner with the astronomynow team and the speakers...

Archived