Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

to buy or not to buy

I started with one of those - very nice scope and the recent models have direct dslr connectivity - smashing - if it's in budget and fits your criteria there's no reason to not get it. Use this site to determine what you're likely to see (minus any colour of course apart from planets). :)

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

If you plan imaging you'll want to add an RA motor eventually.

With a reasonable quality six-inch reflector you should see fairly good detail on Jupiter such as several cloud belts, Great red spot, maybe other spots if present.

Saturns 2 main rings with the cassini division between them. Saturn has very subtle detail on it's disc, you might see one or perhaps two belts, subtle colouring.

Some of the larger surface detail on Mars when fairly close to us. (every two years for a few months.)

Uranus and neptune as tiny bluish-green discs.

Venus's phases.

Shadows of Saturn and Jupiters moons in transit over their disc.

The moon will be incredibly detailed showing you hundreds of mountains, craters, some rilles, domes etc etc

Hundreds of coloured stars, double stars. dozens of star clusters, some globular star clusters will be partially resolved into faint stars.

Only a few gas/dusty nebulae unless you can get far from the city lights.

A few dozen galaxies looking like small grey smudges of various shapes (but no distinct spiral arms) Again you see more of these where there is little light-pollution.

Some Planetary nebulae (ie old stars that have puffed out their outer atmospheres) - most looking like small round or oval smudges but a few with hints of structure such as the ring nebula.

Variable stars if you have the patience to estimate their brightness and record them. (Most don't !)

Patience and experience tend to reveal a lot more than you will see when first starting out.

Of course photography will reveal a lot more than what you can see visually but I know nothing of such new-fangled gadgets ! :)

Just to confuse matters (how I love to do that!)

You have a choice of the 150PL F8 long focal length or the 150P F5 short focal length. The F5 is better for wide field viewing, the F8 better for detail on the moon & planets. If you have very dark skies then you might prefer the F5 as large nebulae will be visible but if in yer average bog-standard town you wont see these big faint objects so you may prefer the F8 version.

Archived