Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2264 & M81 30/1

AndyUK

I managed to set up fairly early last night (Sunday) and although I really should have taken some more subs to add to the stack for the Rosette nebula, my wife wanted to see the Christmas tree / Cone nebula... and as she holds the purse strings, her wish was my command. Unfortunately, due to the position of the house and the streetlights to the South West, I could only get just over 3 hrs before the streetlights curtailed that run, hence then switching to have a go at M81 (which was also stopped short at c. 3am by clouds).

So again, certainly not enough subs, probably too low ISO (I used 400) and definitely poor attempts at post processing, here's the best I can get out of these with the MN190, modded 40D, ST102 guidescope and Synguider.

NGC 2264 - 20x600s, 10x600s darks, 20 flats, 20 flat darks

M81 - 8x600s, 10x600s darks, 20 flats, 20 flat darks

(Stacked in DSS, processed in CS5, Noel's actions and Noise Ninja - Any criticism / comments gratefully received!)

post-18819-133877526156_thumb.jpg

post-18819-133877526166_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a bash whilst eating my cornflakes... ;)

I bet you have loads of info in the original Tiff...

Try a trial of pixinsight... and down load Harry Pages tutorials... play and pause as you practice his routines.. :D

Good effort anyway... :p

post-15416-133877526203_thumb.jpg

Hi Nadeem - They are a "little" better, but these are both crops (as you'll see when I've uploaded the subs ;)), so in that respect I cheated :o - The problem is still there :(

I checked everything in the image path (seating of clip filter, attachment of camera to focuser) and also the collimation (which looked okay to me, but I think I really need someone else to check it - I'll visit my local astro shop and see if they can suggest anyone who might help out for a couple of beers!).

Admittedly, I still didn't drift align - I'm going to post a different thread about that as I think I know HOW to do it, but after reading up about bent alt/az bolts, I need to know how people shift 16Kg + counterweights during drift aligning without fear of bending them :).

Re balancing, here's my process - After polar alignment (with weights down), I mount the MN190, attach the rings/guidescope and then rotate the focuser to lie directly opposite (underneath) the guidescope. I then attach the dew shield, dew straps, synguider and the camera etc and slide the OTA backwards / forwards to get everything balanced in that axis. When happy, I then swing the mount to one side (with the OTA now parallel to the ground) so that the counterweights are also parallel to the ground in the other axis, and then adjust the weights. When it appears balanced, I check it from side to side and then release both clutches to check it in all positions...

(Does that sound about right?)

Mike - Yes - Compared to the NGC image you're right... I had a real headache trying to keep subtle colour / contrast / detail in M81 and I couldn't seem to get it any better... which I see Coco has!

Coco - Thanks for that - The background looks MUCH nicer... and I prefer the hue you've given it too :). I did take out a PixInsight trial at the beginning of December with the intention of trying it out, but of course the weather put paid to that. I'll see if I can get another trial now that I have some "proper" data to play...

As I mentioned to Nadeem, I'll be putting all the frames / stack in my dropbox (If you want to play, just let me know your email address and I'll invite you :))

Andy... had a little play... you don't have many subs although they are long... boy is the camera noisy :) you need a cooled CCD my friend :o

Only kidding... its the same as my DSLR :)

Have been under the cosh from wife and kids home work so here goes..

The crop of the galaxy isnt 100% ... am sure Nadeem will be along soon to spoil the fun ... :)

post-15416-133877526372_thumb.jpg

post-15416-133877526378_thumb.jpg

Cheers Guy!

Of the 2 M81's, I particular like what you've done on the 2nd version - You've somehow managed to get it to "glow"... I found it really tricky to process (with my limited and clumsy skills) and was thinking the same - I really ought to get more subs on it when I can (and also frame it better to get M82 in there as well :))

I also like your version of the Xmas tree - Blown up you've got much more detail out of it, but the gradient spoils it a bit... I don't think I've QUITE got the hang of taking good flats yet (although the one's I used/supplied were actually taken from my last session on the Rosette with the same setup). I've noticed that running gradient Xterminator tends to reduce the lighter part of the background back to the darker which then makes it look clipped (:)) and of course it's up in that same corner where the dodgy stars are lurking :o

... you need a cooled CCD my friend ;)
One day...! I'm pretty happy with the setup I have now (okay, to complete it, I'd really like an EdgeHD 9.25 :)), but an Atik or Starlight Xpress is the last "missing" major piece of kit. However, I don't think there's much point until I've ramped my processing skills up, and as you've noted, although the subs are fairly long, I need more of them...

Cheers Guy!

Of the 2 M81's, I particular like what you've done on the 2nd version - You've somehow managed to get it to "glow"... I found it really tricky to process (with my limited and clumsy skills) and was thinking the same - I really ought to get more subs on it when I can (and also frame it better to get M82 in there as well :o)

I also like your version of the Xmas tree - Blown up you've got much more detail out of it, but the gradient spoils it a bit... I don't think I've QUITE got the hang of taking good flats yet (although the one's I used/supplied were actually taken from my last session on the Rosette with the same setup). I've noticed that running gradient Xterminator tends to reduce the lighter part of the background back to the darker which then makes it look clipped (:)) and of course it's up in that same corner where the dodgy stars are lurking ;)

One day...! I'm pretty happy with the setup I have now (okay, to complete it, I'd really like an EdgeHD 9.25 :)), but an Atik or Starlight Xpress is the last "missing" major piece of kit. However, I don't think there's much point until I've ramped my processing skills up, and as you've noted, although the subs are fairly long, I need more of them...

Andy... I never used any flats/darks or otherwise just the images :(

I'll have as proper go at the weekend.. :)

Cheers both! I love all these reworks for different reasons... I obviously need to do a lot more studying / research... and more subs!

Nadeem - I don't know how you get that star colour out :) - Do you use a star layer, play with the saturation and then add them back in after playing with the rest of the image?

It was actually my aim to get more subs of the Christmas tree last night - I was hoping to get another 4+ hours, but after framing and setting it off, I took the dog for a walk... and within 5 mins the clouds came over :). It did clear a little later and so I tried again, but the dew was so heavy that my strips / shield couldn't keep up, and when I tried out my new 12v hairdryer, the battery packed up :o.

I can also see from the M81 images that, again, I need more subs... It's funny really - I took my first galaxy image of M81 in June last year (55 x 30s) thinking that would be enough... and here I am 8 months later, STILL not taking enough! Ho hum...

Adrian - I do love the way you've pulled out the central reflection nebula (is that the fox fur nebula or the snowflake - I get confused!) and removed the background magenta cast I had in my attempt. Thanks very much for playing with it and posting it back - Very much appreciated...!

Cheers again both :)

I actually haven't mucked around with star layers for a long time, I usually push the saturation up a bit in dss, then re process the colour levels in paintshop pro..

Have you tried imaging using ISO800 ?

I think it might be a better idea to use something like camtasia to record my actions while processing your images next time. At least then I could could upload a video in the dropbox for you to view....

Nadeem

Hi Nadeem - Those images I tried taking yesterday? They would have been at ISO 800 :).

That would be REALLY kind if you could take a video next time, but next time I'll try and get you something with enough subs to play with :)

Thanks again (and clear skies!)

Andy

Cheers both...!

Mike - The MN190, although a bit of a beast, really is majestic (you really need to buy one - Trust me - I work in a hospital :)).

At the moment it's a bit of an effort getting it all setup (it's a LOT different from using a refractor, and with the NEQ6 everything's a LOT heavier ;)!) but I think I now have a process worked out and I'm pretty sure that I've now got the balance worked out as well. In addition, I've now got myself a Hotech (I thought the MN deserved it :D), so I'm going to collimate the life out of it at the weekend, and if that doesn't work, I'm then going to have a crack at adjusting the moonlite seating to banish those elliptical/doughnut stars in the top left corner...

Jordan - I agree - I love how Opticalpath has brought out the blue reflection nebula :(. I need a LOT more post-processing practise! I'd also like to see if I can get some more subs for this as Nadeen suggested - Maybe another 20x600 @ ISO 800 (if the skies ever clear again :()

Andy, that's a nice pair of images... The colour balance does look a little odd, but Guy, Nadeem and opticalpath are doing sterling jobs on the reworks :(... More practice on the procesing and you'll be away ...

I hope you get the clear skies to get all that data you're after.

Cheers both...!

Mike - The MN190, although a bit of a beast, really is majestic (you really need to buy one - Trust me - I work in a hospital :)).

It's on the list although I'd need a NEQ6 first.

At the moment it's a bit of an effort getting it all setup (it's a LOT different from using a refractor, and with the NEQ6 everything's a LOT heavier :D!) but I think I now have a process worked out and I'm pretty sure that I've now got the balance worked out as well. In addition, I've now got myself a Hotech (I thought the MN deserved it :)), so I'm going to collimate the life out of it at the weekend, and if that doesn't work, I'm then going to have a crack at adjusting the moonlite seating to banish those elliptical/doughnut stars in the top left corner...

Are you sure it's the moonlite's positioning that's causing the deformed stars in that corner? Can you see that it's misaligned?

Congratulations on all your latest images though. I bet you're feeling really proud at your achievements - well done :(

Jordan - I agree - I love how Opticalpath has brought out the blue reflection nebula :(. I need a LOT more post-processing practise! I'd also like to see if I can get some more subs for this as Nadeen suggested - Maybe another 20x600 @ ISO 800 (if the skies ever clear again :()

Or get some Ha subs and use them as luminescence.

At least that's my plan - got a 2" filter winging its way from FLO just as soon as they have them in stock ;)

Thanks John

More practice on the procesing and you'll be away ...
Yes.... much MUCH more practice. I seem to have an infoglut of processing workflows bookmarked (including the sticky's on here). I probably just need some time to go through them all, see what I have and try and put a documented workflow / process guide together, although it seems to me that it gets to a stage where it comes down to a touchy-feely / trial and error / suck it and see point... but I guess with more experience then these become less "suck it and see" and more intuitive...

Or, as Harry's Pixinsight tutorials are so good, maybe that might be another path - I see a lot of people on here swear by it...

Mike - That's true - You would need an NEQ6 (and be prepared to get at least another 5kg weight as well ;))

Regarding the moonlite alignment, there are some OTA seating adjustment grub screws which MAY need to be tweaked, but I'm going to try collimating the life out of it first to rule that out - I'd rather leave the corrector plate well alone...! The moonlite's not obviously "mis-seated" via the naked eye, but obviously it doesn't need to be much out to cause some potential "oddities" - I don't think it's much out (whatever it is) but even 1mm on one corner might be the problem(?)

However, I must admit (aside from that annoying top left corner), I am pretty pleased with the way the MN190 setup appears to be fitting together - As expected, I'm the weakest link, but I knew (and hoped) that that would always be the case ;). An Ha filter is on my shopping list too (I'm considering the 12nm EOS clip version though so I can also use it with my lenses), but first I need a nice big leisure battery so I can get away from the house and out to my dark site (or alternatively an air rifle and a good lawyer :))

Archived