Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2264 & M81 30/1

AndyUK

(Oh God.... Another rework that's far better than what I can do...!)

That's an excellent job Jordan...! Can I ask what you did to it...?

[EDIT - If you're bored and want access to the raw frames, pm me your email address and I'll invite you to my dropbox...!]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy,

All done in PS CS3. First levels, adjust the black point near to the end of the histogram (but don't clip it!). I then duplicated the layer and used curves to process the blue reflection neb (as it's a lot brighter than the other parts) then select it roughly using a lasso. Feather the selection (I used 20 pixels) and then use a layer mask. On the first layer you can process the dimmer parts of the neb without blowing out the brighter parts. Flatten the layers then I think I used 'deep space noise reduction' from Noel's actions, did a false luminance layer to increase the colour without introducing a load of noise and 'local contrast enhancement' form Noel's actions setting the opacity to ~20%.

Cheers,

Jordan

Jordan has it! The Ha signal is still quite strong away from the cone itself so should not be clipped. That bright star needs taming, which should be easy. just do a shorter stretch, looking only at that star. When it is right stop stretching and gently layer it in over the top.

Good images. pixInsight has this wonderful thing called SCNR which magically zaps unwanted greens. With respect to the Owl Nebula and Thor's Helmet, green generally does want zapping!!

Olly

Archived