SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First DSO's

Geno

Here are a few of my first DSO's. A bit crude but I am still getting used to the camera (got this Xmas), polar alignment, collimation and my scope (got September last year) and DSS/Photoshop but we all have to start somewhere.

M1 - Struggled a while to find visually but spotted it one night so got a pic

post-20706-133877525123_thumb.jpg

M31 - Bad trailing but happy to see dust lanes

post-20706-133877525129_thumb.jpg

M42 - Always a favourite for a newbie

post-20706-133877525136_thumb.jpg

M45 - Couldn't get much out of this, more subs needed

post-20706-133877525143_thumb.jpg

M81,M82 - Not good but I love it.

post-20706-13387752515_thumb.jpg

Great images especially for your first ones well done any chance you could post your settings for these pics ? thanks .

M1 was a single exposure

M31, M81 & M45 - I think 3 of 10 60 sec exposures stacked in DSS

M42 - 5 of 20 60 sec exposure stacked in DSS

Other exposures binned because of out of focus or bad star trailing. All stacked with 10 x 60 second darks taken after the lights. All at ISO 800

M1 was a single exposure

M31, M81 & M45 - I think 3 of 10 60 sec exposures stacked in DSS

M42 - 5 of 20 60 sec exposure stacked in DSS

Other exposures binned because of out of focus or bad star trailing. All stacked with 10 x 60 second darks taken after the lights. All at ISO 800

hi

being a total noob what is ment by 10 x 60 darks and how do you do it

I'm very new to imaging myself but i believe the darks are used to get rid of bad pixels and noise they are normally taken with the scope cover on ( ie dark ) , i'd like to know how Geno got his flats as its something i'm moving onto at the moment .

hi

being a total noob what is ment by 10 x 60 darks and how do you do it

After imaging I took 10, 60 second exposures with the cap on the camera, hence darks.

These need to be done at the same temperature and exposure time as the lights that's why I do them after I have taken my images.

There are also flats and bias frames to be taken but I am very new to this and will try them the next time.

I think the Deep Sky Stacker help pages explain it a lot better than what I have done.

I'm very new to imaging myself but i believe the darks are used to get rid of bad pixels and noise they are normally taken with the scope cover on ( ie dark ) , i'd like to know how Geno got his flats as its something i'm moving onto at the moment .

Flats is something I need to try next time.

The easiest way I have found when looking into it is to illuminate a white t-shirt which is over the end of the scope with a white light. Then take pictures on Auto I think letting the camera decide on settings, but I could be wrong.

Archived