NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So what's your favourite type of telescope

So what's your favourite type of telescope?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. So what's your favourite type of telescope?

• Dobsonian
    • Newtonian (eq mounted)
    • Schmidt Newtonian
    • Schmidt Cassegrain (SCT)
    • Mak
    • Refractor
    • Tasco 60mm :D

Yes it's poll time again folks! :) This time I thought we'd see what is the favourite type of scope out there. Cast your vote now!

Wheres the "My newest one" option? :)

If I had to live the nightmare and just own one scope, I guess a 8 or 10 Newt on an EQ are a good comprise between aperture, size and cost.

I love my new 127 mak.... what a great scope. Ace performance on planets.. not bad on the brighter deep sky. Small / portable. All this in a 5 inch scope!!!

Say no more! 8)

I would have gone with the Newt too but the Maks i've had in the last couple of years have changed my mind. Seem to perform beyond their aperture.

That said the Orion XT10 Dob is still one of my fav ever scopes i've owned.

Russ

Voted monster roaming looney par....... opps er..

Gone for the refractor after using the 8" reflector for a couple of years and loving it then getting the C6-r it just blew it away and the views i have had from mak's(Etx 125 and Intes scopes), so long as you get a fringe killer i dont think they can be beat app for app anyway..

James :)

I love my new 127 mak.... what a great scope. Ace performance on planets.. not bad on the brighter deep sky. Small / portable. All this in a 5 inch scope!!!

Say no more! 8)

I read in another forum you bought it secondhand from D Hinds? I think it's the scope I nearly bought (it was at a very fair price IIRC), I sort of talked myself out off it because was little bit close to my LX90 in some things and my 120mm refractor in others, it fell in between two stools so to speak.

I'm sure I'll get one, either that or the 100ED to go on my EQ3/2 both nice portable setups,.

Hi Gaz,

I bought the one off D Hinds. I was actually looking for Rob but he found another at a good price.

That price seemed to good, so went for it myself. Now i have two Maks, so one will have to go. Although i need to send the Intes away to have the focuser sorted first.

Is your 120 the f5 or the f8.3? Embarrassingly i've owned them both. The 120 f5 went well with the EQ3 but the f8.3 was a bit too much. Didn't matter the f8.3 had a fault, sent it back and got the f5 in return.

Be interested in that drive system you talked about for the EQ6. Was it the one Telescope Service in Germany offer?

Regards

Russ

hi Russ,

yes it was the cheaper of the teleskop kits, I've no idea how good it is though, but the owner (Wolfi) is a nice bloke and usually if something has shortcomings (like EP not working well with shoer focal length scopes etc) will does point it out.

I used to own the f5, which i sold to get the 150mm f5, which I hated (not so much the CA, it was the hard to you have getting high mags out of a 750mm scope) which I sold and now I have the 120mm f8.3 which is a pretty good scope especially with the baader minus violet filter in. I'm looking to sell it or get a EQ5 to mount it on as my two mounts are the EQ6 and the EQ3/2, if I'm going to get the EQ6 out I may as well go the whole hog and get the 10" Newt, the 120mm is just that bit too big for the EQ3/2 so it's not even getting used that often a a quick look scope.

I might sell the 3/2 mount and get a EQ5, small enough for a quick look but it can still take a decent sized scope.

I might sell the 3/2 mount and get a EQ5, small enough for a quick look but it can still take a decent sized scope.

On the Orion optics site there 150gbp brand new!...

James

Ps:Have you guys considered the AWR drives for your EQ6's?

• 7 years later...

Can't believe that no-one's gone for the Tasco 60mm option yet! :shock: :)

I nearly voted for it purely for the nostalgia. It was my first scope, the one that started it all. I am sure many of us had that wobbley red tube as a first scope for christmas.

Archived