NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading from 15x70 to....

neilm

Upgrade time, I think. I have some Helios Quantum 4 15x70 that I bought last year, at the time I wasn’t sure if I’d use them that much and thus set a budget accordingly. I’m now finding that the bins get more use than the scope for observing, they’re permanently set up in my lounge and the easiest grab and go that I know.

So, I’m planning on moving up a little, something in the region of 20X80 or there abouts, budget, around £300.

I’ve been having a mouch around the web and have found a few possibilities..

Opticron Observation Porroprism 20x80, Helios Stellar Observation 20x80, Strathspey 20x90 (seem to be relatively inexpensive compared to the others) and Visionary 20x80 HD (again relatively inexpensive).

So before I stick my current ones in the for sale and leave myself bino less, any advice? All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Neil

So before I stick my current ones in the for sale and leave myself bino less, any advice? All opinions welcome.Neil

If you are going larger/heavier, I do think it would be a good idea

to also consider how you will mount them. The mount can

make or break the use of any scope or big binos.

Best regards, Ed.

I really think Bins have alot going for them - I am learning all the time been new to Astronomy, but what I REALLY love is that bins are grab'n'go, which may suit my life at the moment, being 37 years young I will no doubt be persuaded to go Scope at some point ;)

Archived