Stargazing Live

Hi, I have just been reading posts regarding the impact the program had on telescope suppliers stocks. Strikes me that there will be a lot of bargins around over the next few months. I am sure that a lot of people just jumped in without any research, especially if they expect to see lovely colour "pictures" through the lovely new scope. I am still researching, books on order, and I still intend to buy from FLO when the decision is finally made! Thanks for the two replies to my post in equipment help, hoping for some more thoughts.

The only 'problem' is that Brian's "Wonders of the Universe" starts in March...

Better make sure all the distributors know about this.... that way they won't be caught with their trousers down again like they have this time.

What's compounded the issue is that so many retailers don't keep stock, and rely on the distributors to hold "their" stocks. So when the disty has their stocks exhausted, it's like hens teeth trying to find a decent scope in stock. I've been trying to obtain one of a shortlist of scopes, and the number of retailers who I have had conversations like

ME: "do you have XYZ physically in stock ?"

THEM: "no.. but we have one in our warehouse"

ME: "Is that you warehouse or the distributors?"

THEM: "err.. well, yes we get them shipped direct from the distributors"

ME: "have you contacted the disty recently... they are out of stock of that model, and this model, and the other...."

THEM: "Oh... sorry can't really help you then !"

I think you are right though... give it a few months and what stocks that do arrive in a months time will be used up by the back orders and then any small surplus will get taken up again as that hist the screens.. da ja vue !

The only 'problem' is that Brian's "Wonders of the Universe" starts in March...

can't wait! :)

I'll make sure i have everything i need before that goes on air, so not to get caught out by empty stock levels.

That would be great if they could have stargazing live on a regular basis!

I agree. If we all lobby for this to be a regular feature they may sit up and listen. I urge everyone to post a comment on the BBC homepage , at the bottom of this page there is a "contact us" option. Just bob a couple of comments down. If enough of us do this you just never know :)

Someone at work suggested that Stargazing Live was being considered as a series, similar to Autumnwatch/Springwatch format? That should keep interest up a bit if true?

Only wasn't it 4 times a year for each observing season?

Someone at work suggested that Stargazing Live was being considered as a series, similar to Autumnwatch/Springwatch format? That should keep interest up a bit if true?

Worth noting that if you just decide to nip to a RSPB/WT reserve on a spring/autumnwatch weekend you're highly unlikely to be able to get much nose time at the optics displays, and don't expect to see any of the more timid species what with all the noise.

All good for the hobby, though so it's fine.

and then we'll never be able to buy planispheres anywhere as they'll be constantly out of stock!
But they'd wise up, buy loads of stock, raise the price and then a few months later when demand falls they'll be a surplus of stock going cheap!

Living in cloud cuckoo land since 1998!

Archived