Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar observation

A few questions and a few anxiety's about viewing the sun.

I am quite interested in giving this a go, but have a few anxiety's about this. I have seen the filters on the flo website and was considering getting these.

Are they suitable for all scopes ? or will my cheap scope melt ?

Is it likely to leak light around the filter edge, Obviously I don't want to go blind.

Should I avoid high magnifications ?

:)

Hi Ian.

Viewing the sun is perfectly safe with a scope providing you have capped the end with a solar filter!

There is a couple of kinds of this type of filter, usualy refered to as 'white light'. There is the pre-cut ready to pop on the end type...and basicaly a sheet of A4 that you cut and make your self..blue peter style. This is very easy, and have done it my self using the Baader solar saftey film A4 sheet, and a cereal box, and some tape. The instuctions are clear and simple and it only takes a few minuits.

Once you have popped that on the end you can point your scope towards the sun, safley. Don't point towards the sun without the filter on as the heat can and probably will damage the optics.

As for magnification, you can go as high as you desire. but a basic coloured filter or 'neutral density' filter could come in handy as although the sun is dimmed by the solar filter, it is still to bright for any leagnth viewings, as i found out.

Of course the holy grail of solar viewing if you are very interested is to have a PST or Personal Solar Telescope. Which has an array of expensive filters so you can view the sun in the hydrogen alpha region, which showes the more interesting fetures of the sun. ie solar flares, granulation etc. But like i said..expensive...to me anyway..one day :)

Hope that helps, any more questions please ask! :)

Good luck.

Michael

The Baader Type solar film filters, when fitted correctly are 100% safe for both visual observing and imaging of the Sun. It has been used all around the world by thousands of amateurs without incident.

Highly recommended.

But don't forget to cap the finder as well or it will focus onto your pate something quite like the business end of an oxy-acetelene torch!!

I have just started solar observing with a Lunt LS60 and am delighted by it, but the Baader white light film is brilliant for sunspot observing.

Olly

I echo what has already been mentioned but again, do put safety first at all times.

Olly quite rightly mentioned capping the finder which can sometimes be overlooked and always check the baader filter and make sure there are no holes or tears and it perfectly covers the lens.

I know this is grandma, eggs and sucking motion but one slight mistake and your eyesight is as good as gone - I do know a colleague who is almost blind in one eye from an accident :)

A word of warning though, it can become very addictive indeed and while the baader filter will reveal sunspots, you may wish to proceed further and purchase a Coronado or Lunt and really see what is happening on the surface. Watching prominences and loops and realising the actual size of these is an awesome experience.

Best wishes,

Steve

ps after a pm message I feel the need to update this email regarding my colleague's accident, this was NOT attributed to the use of a Baader filter and it was due to a different filter literally becoming detached from the scope during observing.

The stuff is perfectly safe, provided it is used as described in the instructions, inspected for splits & tears before each use, care is taken to make sure the filter cannot be dislodged whilst in use and that finders etc. are removed, provided with their own solar film filters or the finder objective is left capped.

Common sense is required and it is possible to injure yourself by negligence, though the risk should not be greater than that of breaker your toe by dropping your 31mm Nagler & using your sneaker to protect the ground. IMO the risk is worth it.

I,ve used the Baader Type solar film filter and it works fine, had to block about 70percent of the scope dough.

Done this by cutting a 6" hole in a plastic pot saucer and fixing filter across.

Fits perfect on front of scope.

Archived