Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 mount polar scope

oreed

I have just had an EQ5 mount and polar scope delivered. Can anyone tell me if there is meant to be, or is able to be a space between the RA setting circle and the Date circle, as seen in the picture posted? I know this gap can be closed by pulling the RA setting circle ring down but just seems a bit strange.

Also are you meant to be supplied with an allen key/screw drive to align the polar scope?

post-23013-13387752079_thumb.jpg

Did you use the brown dovetail (that came with the scope) to attach straight to the mount or did you attach this brown dovetail onto the white dovetail that came packed with the tripod?

Yes, this is my first scope. :D

The small white dovetail is surplus to requirements. The longer dovetail (that came already attached to the rings) is what I connect to the mount directly. I've had this confirmed elsewhere on the forum so I'm comfortable with that.

• 1 year later...

I have just had an EQ5 mount and polar scope delivered. Can anyone tell me if there is meant to be, or is able to be a space between the RA setting circle and the Date circle, as seen in the picture posted? I know this gap can be closed by pulling the RA setting circle ring down but just seems a bit strange.

Also are you meant to be supplied with an allen key/screw drive to align the polar scope?

I have the exact same issue, looks sloppy work or sloppy manufactured.

Can it be screwed further into the mount ?

Mine is exactly the same too. Also i found that the polar scope was very wobbly when trying to polar align.

Quick mod that sorted it was to unscrew polarscope, then put o ring on, then screw back in and that sorted

it. may help you when you get round to polar align :-)

velvet

• 2 months later...

I think the general belief is that setting circles on mounts in this price range are pretty much worthless anyway. It'll be interesting to test that theory!

Actually not true... If you learn how to use them properly they get you to the target right on.

Archived