SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rubbish first Imaging Outing!

Rob

Well there I wa bored with the usual dross on tv.. looked out and it was clear with a nice big moon glowing away!. Grabbed the laptop and watched a 10 min widefield video.. a getting started type one.

So with 300D in one had & photo tripod in the other, off to the garden I go!. I followed the instructions for my first widefield shot.. now I know a full moon does not help, but hey I had to give something a go.....

camera on tripod. set Manual on the dial.. set infinity on the lens, set bulb setting and ISO to the highest it would go (as to the instructions). took 4 30 sec shots.. sure there was some trailing, but the images were way to bright. so I thought the ISO was too high and dropped to 400 (I think) which helped with the brightness and tried some 15 sec shots.. again a little better, some trails

All in all a rubbish start on what I thought would be a good way to start before prime focus stuff.

Any tips on what I may not have set.. or even set right?.

Rob

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even 15secs is going to white out with a full moon....terrible night for first go. Have a closer look on the screen as it may not be as bad as it seems on the camera screen.

I went out this morning hoping the moon would have set a bit just before sunrise....wrong! Just wanted to try out my 200mm M42 lens. Managed some wide shots of M13 but the images were almost full white out with a 30sec exposure. Usable with a 22sec sub.

single exposure. Really wasn't a good night to try with the full moon and no filter. Wait until the weekend when the moon rises later and you'll hopefully get a nice window to shoot some images.

It will be a lot better on a decent night. Would even be worth using the GP and attach the camera directly to the mount with no scope.

Also worth grabbing a step down ring so you can use the LPR filter.

It will all come together.

I noticed on my 550d with standard canon 55mm lens the focus actually goes slightly beyond infinity, you have to pull everything back a little to get things pin sharp. It took about 5 goes with trial and error to get it right.

Are you triggering it remotely ? Or with a timer ?

Worth checking to see if your mirror has a lockup function, the one on my 550d is hidden away in the custom functions section.

Rob, most of it's been said... but 30 seconds is just about useable at 18mm... At 50mm, you'll be lucky to get 8 seconds before trailing becomes a problem. Also, most of the camera lenses I've seen (those without proper distance windows) actually focus beyond infinity (:))... apparently it's something to do with thermal expansion and contraction allowances... anyway... you can't rely on the end of the focus movement to be infinity.. although with the moon up, there's a nice target to use the autofocus on if you have it.

What focal length were you shooting at ?

To be honest I cant tell you??.. still working out what the heck I'm doing?

The lens that came with the scope is a ef35 -105 f3.5 to f4.5.. i retracted the lens all the way back so I guess f3.5???

I'm in shock... Rob and Russ talking imaging... :)

Good luck mate, obviously the closer to the celestial equator you get the faster the stars move - try aiming towards the pole and going with say 30 second shots (Sub).

At least then you can combine the images later into a nice star trail shot. Facing north is much more forgiving with start trails.

Cheers

Ant

Hee hee... Cheers Ant. I know, its unreal and very funny in its own way!.

It was going to happen at some time I guess. I still a true observer by nature and just fancied a lite dabble with a DSLR.

Rob

thats great Russ.. you bloomin show off!. So in no tech terms how was this achieved (settings etc)

Cheers

Setup the camera on the EQ5 with a rough (very rough like we used to do down the New Forest) polar alignment. ISO set to 800, lens stopped down to f4, focus done looking through the camera (should have fired some test shots) and then snapped away. 20 images captured. I use a timer remote but you can set the camera to multiple images, 20sec exposure and then hold down the wired remote.

Archived