NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I have the knobs!

Thanks to the excellent photographs,and fabrication text,from Daz,I have now made and fitted three collimation knobs for the Explorer (8"),after replacing one screw at a time, the collimation is the same as was prior to the exercise,it looks like all the "After" pictures in the articles I've read,Now a silly question, How for into the eyepiece does the cheshire go?I assume all the way up the shoulder where the angled polished plate is,

would be grateful if someone would confirm as it seems awfully close to the secondary.

Cheers Frank

after

Still trying to get the hang of posting pictures,I tried to upload one or two of my moon shots into Iseestars but get a message saying (a) Upload sucessful but then (:) wrong type of file,I had saved them on my PC as tif (I read somewhere that would save space) but it appears Iseestars can't accept them,will try again with something else, and then with luck , a picture of the knobs,Even as a newcomer I Really think the Bob's (Or Daz'sKnobs) has to be the way to go.

Cheers Frank

How for into the eyepiece does the cheshire go?I assume all the way up the shoulder where the angled polished plate is,

would be grateful if someone would confirm as it seems awfully close to the secondary.

What matters is that you can see the entire mirror.

Look for the three clips that hold the mirror, if you can see those, your there :)

Hi Frank,

Once you have changed your images to Jpegs, make sure you have adjusted the size to say 600 x 650 pixels (no larger than 800 pixels). :)

If you are having difficulty with the way Steve suggested, theres another route:

Log into your iseestars account, and click on the image you want to upload to Stargazers. Underneath that image, you will see, 'remote access' if you click on that, two options will appear 'html tag' or 'forum tag'. Highlight and copy either one of these. Then all you have to do is, go to your thread, type your message as normal, then right click, and your image tag should be pasted.

HTH

Caz

Hi Tony,

This came about because the Sky watcher is my first Newt, and collimation reared its ugly head, Common sense said there aught to be a better way of adjusing the primary mirror, in the form of knobs of some description, then I found the Bobs knobs site, here was the answer I had thought of ,Daz on this Forum , had already had the same Idea and had made some knobs, I have done the same,You will need some 5m Bolts, or Studding, ( They are 5M on the Skywatcher,you must determine what size yours are) and whatever knobs appeal, ( Don't use knobs with big Mushroom heads, because you will need to get at the locking nuts if your scope has them,)cut the studding to length, Araldite ,or otherwise fit the the knobs, and replace ONE AT A TIME, the original adjusting screws,then Recollimate. Cheers Frank

http://www.bobsknobs.com/

Archived